Which type of jet boat should I purchase

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Kelly moreorless, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Kelly moreorless

Kelly moreorless New Member

I live on the Snake River near Marsing. I am going to purchase a jet boat. I waterfowl hunt and just want to run up and down the river in comfort - maybe a blind built onto the boat. There's moss sometimes here in the Summer and I have a limited depth of water into my little marina that I'm building (about 2 feet). I'm looking for suggestions on the boat I should purchase - not brand but inboard vs outboard and length etc. I have a budget of $30K so I'm probably looking used. Thoughts?

2. blkduck

blkduck Senior Refuge Member

I would say it depends on what else you want to do with your boat. If its truly just duck hunting, which is what I have a jet for. I have a weldcraft 1852 mod v with a 60/40 outboard jet, pods and jet tunnel. For a blind I have a beavertail 1800. I can run in about 6" of water. It is an open floor plan with pedestal seats. I can probably go about 25mph. way less than 30k brand new.

If you want a dual purpose fishing boat with live wells etc. I dont really have any knowledge of those. Also I dont know anything about jet inboards, they were overkill for what I needed.

3. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. Sorny

Sorny Senior Refuge Member

If you want to run a blind and hunt out of the boat an inboard jet is mostly out of the question because the motor takes up so much floor space. I have a buddy with a custom built jet with an inboard 350 and it's great for running skinny water!

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

You should pose this question on the Idaho state forum here. I'm from the Idaho Panhandle and run a mud boat so I can't help you with a jet. I can tell you to keep your boat as open as possible. I run a pretty open boat...one gun box...and a Beavertail blind, but 90% of the time we just use the boat for transport and decoy setup and hunt from shore...usually in layout blinds. I think the Snake has more spots that you can hunt from the brush at the side of the river.

6. birdhunter007

birdhunter007 Elite Refuge Member

For the use you are describing I would go the outboard route. I have an 1860 WE with a jet. Mine is a side console, which I really like, but if you are going the boat blind route you might look into a tiller as they have a much more open floorplan. I dont hunt out of my boat and only use it as transportation to our hunting spots on the Snake and Columbia rivers. Outboards are much easier to free up grass from the intake than an inboard. Nothing nicer than diving under the boat in 30 degree weather to get a grass ball out of the intake. ( from experience... ) You can get a stomp grate installed on inboards to make it easier to clean the intake.
    My 1860 is a perfect size for my needs. It fishes and hunts really good. Handles the big water great and gets into skinny water easily. I bought mine out of Boise used for under 16K and it was loaded with tons of options. For 30K you should be able to get a pretty nice ride.