Whistlers in November

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Frank Mahovolich, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Hello Frank,
    There was a great Toronto NHL hockey player with the same name. Played back there were only 6 teams, & I think he played with his brother Pete. When I was a lot younger, we hunted Lake of the Woods on the Ontario side, as well as the Minnesota side too. Lots of Bluebills back then, but not many coming thru anymore. The Goldies are still around & hearty birds they are. We put up duck houses here in northern Minnie & raise quite a few Goldies around here.
    I've made some Goldie decoys decades ago & found that they decoy WAY
    better to those decoys, when otherwise they will hardly give a look.
    This year has been very poor with such warm weather & a delayed migration. Our season has been closed for a week now & most lakes are still open & ice free. I've got 3 different drake whistlers mounted. Great birds!

Ringbill

2. whistlerwhopper

whistlerwhopper New Member

Never had a chance to hunt Wellers Bay, although it looks really good. I never consistently shot drake whistlers until I started using wooden whistler decoys. They ride the water better than plastic and look like the real thing from a few yards away. Always considered drake whistlers the smartest of all diver ducks.

freefall likes this.
  3. Frank Mahovolich

Frank Mahovolich New Member

Hi Ringbill ,,,We hunt Rice Lake & Lake Ontario for Divers (WHISTLERS ) Today is Dec 1st there here in good numbers but the Lakes up north are still OPEN,,WHISTLERS are the last of the ducks to arrive on LAKE ONTARIO,,Hell,,Its not a secret,,lol,,,lol,,Its been that way since I started hunting 51 yrs ago,,Thing is it was COLDER,,back then,,GLOBAL WARMING
    plays a part in this,,Went for a drive around RICE LAKE yesterday saw DIVERS but not in numbers they should be,,, RICE is wide-open,,lol,lol,
    Enough of an OLE TIMER ranting about anout the good old days,,lol,

Mahovolich

4. Ringbill

Because we're oldtimers, we ARE allowed to rant!
    I shot my first duck 56 years ago, back when we had 1000s of bluebills on our waters. Now, they're almost a pre-historic duck around here.
    Very sad.

Ringbill

5. whistlerwhopper

whistlerwhopper New Member

Same here, been hunting 40 years. When I started, bluebills were everywhere from mid October on. Now we're lucky if we can get one decent hunt a year. Places that had thousands are now totally barren. Would sure like to know what happened. We're living on memories now.

6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

20161203_093616.jpg

Limit of goldies and a can today. Finally....

7. Frank Mahovolich

Frank Mahovolich New Member

Hey Pal,,Nice shoot,,Can you tell us abit more about the hunt,,Where abouts,,,

Mahovolich

8. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

CA Delta area. I'm a ways away from ya'll.

It was over quick despite a fog that rolled in.

9. jolle

jolle Senior Refuge Member

Were waiting for the eyes here in MO, been a couple years since we have gotten good numbers during season. I'm hopeful that the weather this week freezes enough water to send a few our way.

Hard to beat a good whistler hunt when it's good.

10. Ringbill

We've had 30" of snow up here now, but just getting solid cold to freeze things up. These Goldies & Buffies will be heading out now.
    The Mahovolich name in Canada must be like a Smith or Johnson down here in the USA?

Ringbill