Whistlers in November

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Frank Mahovolich, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Where we hunt at Chesapeake Bay lower Western Shore, they are the trophy diver. Mr. green head only shows when every thing is iced up and he won't decoy very easily either. Cripple one and you got a chase on your hands and I have seen it cost ten shells to get the bird. Most go on the wall if you are lucky to get one. The wariest and smartest duck of all, he has forgotten more than any black duck will ever know as far as escape tactics are concerned. Every one around here knows he is one SOB to get!

2. Frank Mahovolich

Frank Mahovolich New Member

3. Frank Mahovolich

Frank Mahovolich New Member

Hey Guys ,,,ALL the inland lakes have been frozen for the past 3 weeks,,,Lake Ontario is the WINTER home of the GOLDENEYE,,,Hunting has been good until the past week,,,The ice has built up on the lakeshore making it impossible to put the decoys out,,The season
    closes JANUARY 8,,,IT,S OVER,,LOL,,LOL,,,,By the way were seeing plenty of MALLARDS
    Back in the day MALLARDS were not all that common this time of the year,,,The past month or so we shot more MALLARDS than DIVERS ,,,

Mahovolich

4. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Right now I'm sitting on my front porch looking at about 300 common goldeneye sitting in the river in front of my house. In SF bay they start showing up about mid-late Nov. and are thick through the end of the season. Very rarely do we get Barrows though.

5. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'm here in Minnie looking at a lake with 16" of ice & 2 feet of snow.
    Very bleak! Glad that I have plenty of decoy painting work to help keep me occupied. Quite a few orders for Goldeneyes !!

Ringbill

6. pmcc

pmcc Senior Refuge Member

Golden eyes are trophy ducks? I passed on a couple dozen the last 2 days. We see them all season long, if the bull silverbacks, bills or reds aren't flying maybe we'll shoot one or two. They're kind of like butterballs around here.

7. jolle

jolle Senior Refuge Member

Finally had a few shots at some down here. They were spooky and patterned, and we passed a bunch of hens, but had a good time.

Attached Files:

Jerky likes this.
  8. Jerky

Jerky Senior Refuge Member

Nice looking birds. Looks like they have their best suits on for the ladies.

9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

How do you prepare them for the table ?

10. jolle

jolle Senior Refuge Member

I made a few tonight with a teriyaki marinade, breasted but skin on and then pan seared them to a medium finish in butter. They smelled stronger while cooking than they tasted, which was very good. I had a mallard in with them and flavor was nearly the same. I've also used them in kabobs with other ducks and didn't notice much difference.

A friend tried breading and frying and said he couldn't eat them. That brings out the strongest flavor in any duck and I don't regard it highly, but done as above they are just fine.

I had my kids taste them tonight and asked what they thought it was, and they all guessed deer, which we eat a lot of.