White river trout fishing

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by cholt, Feb 20, 2018.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Oneonta al
    I’m gonna be heading out with family and friends to go try to catch some trout out there just wondering what to use to fish with have never fished out there and wondering about water depth and how most people fish out there any help don’t need any secret holes or anything just trying to put some kids and teens on some fish. Thanks
  2. lockingblock

lockingblock New Member

Dec 22, 2017
    It depends on where on the river... It can be very shallow or not, fast or slow, and clear...or not so much. Generally, it is clear and relatively shallow. Personally, I have always had good luck with worms. I know...that's not a real trout fisherman's bait...not on a fly rod...but it works. I never caught anything on corn or glow worms. Power bait wasn't so powerful. Best weekend I ever had was years back when we caught a bunch of crawdads and used their tails as bait. We tore it up...couldn't keep the hooks baited they were bighting so hard. Live bait is best for me...but YMMV.
  3. Bull-sprig

Bull-sprig Elite Refuge Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Arkansas on Village Creek the new Hurricane
    size 24 hook with a tiny bit of worm. fish it in cracks in the rocks. Not for trout but for sculpins./ Use them for bait on the norfork. Catch big browns.
  4. CJS

CJS Senior Refuge Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Duck Lane Trailer
    Kids = get below a shoal, anchor the boat, toss out sum power bait carolina rigs with 4 lb line. If no fish, move to next spot.