White river trout fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by cholt, Feb 20, 2018.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I’m gonna be heading out with family and friends to go try to catch some trout out there just wondering what to use to fish with have never fished out there and wondering about water depth and how most people fish out there any help don’t need any secret holes or anything just trying to put some kids and teens on some fish. Thanks

2. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

Be prepared for rapid, extreme fluctuations in depth due to manipulation of dam turbines to meet power demands. I was told to put a rock on the bank where I could see it and if the water began to rise to the rock I should get out of the water right away and move up the bank. They also sound warnings when they are about to release water but sometimes it can be hard to hear them. I haven't been there for a long time but it can be terrific fishing. You can contact the dam authority in the morning and they will advise you of how many turbines they will run and at what time. Below a certain number of turbines running you are okay to continue fishing. Above that, likely better get out of the water. I got a lot of helpful advice from Dale Fulton at Blue Ribbon Flies in Mountain Home. They are out of business and,sadly, Dale passed away recently. I don't know who services the area for fishing at this time but there are probably some good ones. Don't know if you are fly fishing? Sow Bugs are used often. Sculpin imitations are preferred streamers. Need to be weighted. A lot of fish there and some very big ones.

3. bruce

It just occurred to me that Dry Run Creek in Missouri has a quarter mile of water for kids under a certain age. I think it is eighteen years old max but not sure. That section is jam packed with large trout. I don't know the details nor how far it is from Arkansas' White River but I know you can find by Internet search.

4. cholt

Ok cool thanks

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Dry Run Creek is in Arkansas. If you are in Mountain Home, it's less than 30 minutes away and on the Norfork. When I stay in Mountain Home, I check generation on both rivers while having breakfast, and then I head to whichever one sounds best.

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Oh, and Dry Run never requires a boat. It's a small stream. Also, it's right beside the hatchery, so it's an interesting stop for all.

7. cholt

Well caught some nice browns and probably 100 rainbows nice two day trip will be going back that’s for sure. 65C05336-0D59-43E9-AB50-380AD68FBDDD.jpeg 68AD82E7-1F37-49A7-BC21-56306837C3A8.jpeg 1D7B507E-7A90-4A14-ADA1-B4329C4BD220.jpeg 813C32E0-9D82-4281-895E-7455BB813136.jpeg

8. bruce

Nice Browns! Did the kids get to catch some too?

9. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Great looking fish. Congrats on a successful outing.

10. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

Congrats dude..looks like a good time. I need to get back down that way again. I've got family in the Flippin/Mountain Home area.