Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

White Rock collar issue

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by jthomp01, Jan 26, 2017.

1. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

Does anyone have some advice on straightening up the collars ? After being stored all year, quite a few are either partially closed or miss shaped. Maybe I'm just being too picky but I couldn't get them to hold an open form this evening while I was setting them out to "fluff"

20170126_172925.jpg

20170126_172944.jpg

2. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

I'm having the same white Rock problem just bought 50 dz and I would say 80% to 90%of the collars are like that and when set out don't fill up with wind as they should or as competitor decoys do. Have lost 3 bags in 2 hunts also hope I didn't make a wrong decision on buying 50dz in one shot

3. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

We lose one every once in a while. Always remember to pick them up by the stake, not by the white handle. This has solved that issue for the most part. We have a pile of about 15 that need to be put back together. If one comes apart we always throw it in our flyers bin so we can put it back together. The guys at WR are great about warranty on their products. I have 2 dozen set nuts to replace the ones that came off.

We've used ours for 4 seasons now and love them. Just would like the collars to be in a more open form. I worked with a few to try and get them to stay open, but no luck.

4. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Same problem here. Switched to a less expensive sock that has retainers that slide to adjust bag opening.

5. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

Wish I had a fix for you. Same problem here. After 5 years with my whiterocks and storing them in the whiterock decoys bags this is the only thing that is annoying to an extent for me but I can't say that its a big issue on there effectiveness decoying birds. It does affect there ability to fill with air in a light breeze somewhat. The whiterocks definitely do not have as rigid, wide and thick of material in the collars as some other brands. I'll be watching this thread to see if anybody has a resolution for this issue.

6. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Same thing here, so I sorta fixed it. I bought these (but its just 1/4" tubing you can by anywhere) and put a slit in them and put them over the stake. Helps enough. If I bought any more WR, I'd buy un-assemelbed and put them on the stake first.

http://www.skyflydecoys.com/online-store/16-rubber-retainer-ring-for-14-fibreglass-stakes.html

Next question, has anyone have the tape that is supposed to protect the bag from the inside REALLY yellow and stand out? Now that might be too picky, but it does look pretty bad.

7. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

I'll have to give that a try. Seems like it would work alright. Do the retainers move when you collapse the bag ? I'd want them to be pretty permanent so you're not having to adjust them every time you throw out the spread

I noticed this on about 5 yesterday. But the rest looked fine.

8. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

The retainers will stay in place on Sky Fly. I think their stakes are a hair bit larger than 1/4 stakes.

9. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

The top one moves because you have to cut it to fit it over the stake since its already assembled. But I bet you could glue them on, zip tie, or just ele. tape to get them to hold better.

10. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I don't own alot of WRs but mine all have collars just like those posted, very annoying to me for as much as they are posted about being the best.