Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

white rock decoys

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by cripple, Jan 12, 2015.

1. birdhunter98

birdhunter98 Senior Refuge Member

2. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

White rocks new full body will fill a need for a certain group of hunters.

I have yet to see a perfect snow goose decoy every single one of them made has a downfall. Their collapsable foam full bodies will work for some and not for others

I wish them luck:tu

3. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

4. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Just an FYI for everyone, since Chris is modest, he was the painter on the blue. True talent, and eye for detail, an a passion for waterfowl beyond most I know.

5. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

I take it back, the blue looked like a loon. lol

6. Chris Nicolai

Chris Nicolai Elite Refuge Member

Oh man, a loon?

7. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

I don't think anyone should get upset that this discussion is being unfairly critical of a new product that most of us have not even seen yet. Releasing some information about a new product to create some buzz is a marketing strategy. I would assume White Rock would be disappointed if no one cared to speculate on this new decoy. The discussion shows there is interest.

My own thoughts are that it is a nice looking product on a concept that has been around for years, but never developed to a performance level that generated a following. The history of White Rock and the fact that the guys that developed their products are snow goose hunters gives me some hope that maybe this can work. At the same time I know selling an idea can overshadow whether the idea is truly a good idea to sell. Just a generalization; no judgment here of the case in point. Time will tell where this one falls in line. I definitely have an interest in these as I am adding to my full-body spread and need another 30 dozen within the next two weeks.

My concerns with these are the same as most have already mentioned. The capacity to collapse easily and then bounce back to retain their full shape are antithetical to one another. How will these actually perform? I don't like deformations or even big dents in my full-bodies, and I don't want to fight with keeping them collapsed while picking them up and packing them. This adds too much time to picking up. If they are very light weight will they spin on the stake? My guess is they will turn sideways in the wind like a boat does without power. At that point will they deform or hold their shape? And my biggest concern is the stake system. Most of us - myself included - do not like the TNT decoy stake. Too hard to find in the dark which adds to setup time. This decoy seems that it could possess the same inherent drawback. I'm also concerned that putting the stake in first and then pushing into hard ground will tear the soft plastic at the top connect point.

If the decoy performs to satisfaction regarding these areas of concern, it will be a game-changer! For now, my expectation is that it will be a compromise of sock and full-body and perhaps fill a niche as someone already mentioned. If it is a niche product, it's overpriced in my valuation. I would love to hear some findings to the four years of testing. I have no doubt someone from White Rock is monitoring this discussion.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  8. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

What does TOYE know about snow goose hunting? :l:l

9. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Tony, I would love to hear your thoughts regarding some of the concerns discussed. I know it would not be based on using them, but having them in hand is better than anything else we have right now. What are your thoughts on:

Added time to collapse them during pick-up,
    Ability to snap back into a full shape without deformation or indentation,
    Ease of inserting and placing them on the stake in the ground.

10. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

I have very limited experience with large full body spreads. I have around 400 traditional full bodies but rarely do they leave the storage shed. I love big spreads that are realistic, easy to move and take limited space to store. With that being said, I bought a bunch more White Rock socks yesterday. These new decoys will be much easier to store, they do bounce back into shape but it does take a little time since air flow is limited. However, the decoy collapses easily and fast when you force collapse it. There were two different styles of stakes, both are anchored to the top of the decoy so you can push hard on it for deployment. I'm assuming the decoys will face into the wind and not sideways. Hard for me to give a good/accurate report without actually using them for a season.