White Tail Rut?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by HuMMer, Aug 8, 2011.

1. HuMMer

HuMMer Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys, this might be a dumb question, but this is my first year going out for big game. I will hunting in an area that has a general white-tailed deer season for antlered and antler-less. It shows to be open from Oct. 10th to Dec. 1st. I would like to plan my trip as close to the rut as possible, but I don't know when it is. Any suggestions?

Seth-

2. oxnam

oxnam Senior Refuge Member

Haven't spent much time hunting whitetails but I think it runs around Nov 15-25 or something like that. I know the regular deer tag generally ends Nov 10 and the rut hasn't really started yet. Most guys up here focus on mid to late Nov for whitetails.

3. The Hajj

The Hajj Senior Refuge Member

It really depends on where you are hunting. The whitetail deer in high altitude, heavy snow areas rut earlier than the prairie whitetail. The high country rut usually starts in early November, while the prairie whitetail don't get too active until late November to early December. If the snow doesn't start hitting the prairies by Thanksgiving, the whitetail bucks generally don't get too crazy before the season ends.

Jeff

4. choc dogs

choc dogs Senior Refuge Member

It's always tough to tell, but the weeks around thanksgiving have been best for me. I'd see if you can buy a couple of cups of coffee for some of the farmers at the coffee shops in the area where you're hunting, and maybe someone will help you out. Btw, Jeff, good to see you posting again.

5. HuMMer

HuMMer Senior Refuge Member

I'll be hunting up in the 11A area. So I should be looking at mid November.....

Seth-

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Always iffy, but the second or third week of November has always been good to me.

7. WATERDOGS

WATERDOGS Elite Refuge Member

Numbers have been going down over the last few years.