Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Whitetail Antler Sheds

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Muck Mallard, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Muck Mallard

Muck Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Anyone here ever wander around looking for antler sheds?If so whens a good time to start looking and wheres a common place to look for them.Bedding areas or main trails:confused:
    Any info would be great.
    Thanks Muck.

2. Buck17

Buck17 Senior Refuge Member

I shed hunt as much as I can. It's a great way to fill in the time between hunting seasons. There are different techniques and different theories of when and how is best. Around here the bucks start losing their antlers right about now but some will keep them for another month or so. I like to get out early in case some snow falls and covers the sheds. I typically start walking the areas I know deer are spending their time. Feeding areas, where deer congregate, are good bets. Also, many people believe areas where deer jump fences are good places because landing from the jump causes the antlers to fall off (though I haven't had too much luck with this theory). If you can find a small, thick area where many deer bed and seek shelter, your odds will go way up. Some days you spend your time in an area you think should have lots of sheds and find nothing. Other days you just keep tripping over them (or so I'm told). That's what makes it fun, the unknown. You may find out a monster is living in your neck of the woods.

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Elite Refuge Member

here in texas where i am i find most of my sheds around feeders. they tend to bump their antlers on the legs of the feeders

4. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

found the 8 point i hit during bow season.... what a waste..... the arrow was on the ground mixed in with the bones :(..... only 150 yards from wehre i shot it... antlers were all busted up.... i dont know what happened to them... i think a cayote got at it after it died because its bones were strewn about..... pretty sad i wasted my first deer. It was in some super super super thick stuff though.... thats why we couldnt find it... its easier when there are no leaves to get int he way...
    WB

5. Dski

Dski Senior Refuge Member

Muck Mallard

I think your jumping the gun a bit to get started this early.. Over here in Northern NY we don't start seeing sheds until late February...
    I normally watch well traveled trails between bedding areas. In the particular area I search I have the most luck on trails which border waterways, ie creeks or edges of larger bodies of water..
    Best time to look for them is as soon as the snow cover lets go. White antlers will stand out very well.. Look for them to be standing with Tines facing upward, doesn't always work, but more often than not I find that to be the case. What ever you do, don't wait too long.. Squirrels, Mice and Porcupines make short work of the good ones....
    Good Luck!!! and Make sure you treat your time as a productive scouting trip while your at it!!

6. Muck Mallard

Thanks guys!

7. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I have found sheds in early jan, and i have seen deer with antlers in april....if there are a lot of squirrels in the area, you want to look in the best spots right now and go back every so often..... I dont deer hunt much any more, mostly waterfowl....but I always spend 3-4 weekends looking for sheds...I took a buddy last year and he found BOTH of these...in MY SPOTS...bob

8. Buck17

Buck17 Senior Refuge Member

Those are nice sheds Bob! That's what it's all about.;)

9. Muck Mallard

Nice sheds Bob!

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Real nice sheds Bob... One thing I am trying is to train my lab to find sheds. I take several old sheds and plant them out in a field for him to find. He is getting good at finding them.... we will see as spring comes on, how it works..