Whitetail Antler Sheds

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Muck Mallard, Jan 14, 2003.

1. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

when shed hunting today for about 7 hours didnt find any ahahha. absolutly huge track of land though(strip mines) boy am i beat! .. good to just be back in the deer woods however.

2. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

their committed.....a few tips for you (ignor if you already knew this) although i am finding a lot the last 4-5 years in some good nature sanctuary's, I use the same methods in unprotected areas. I look on southern facing slopes...usually the sun hits here longer each day, and there will be less snow and more warmth during the winter....then the deer usually travel less so cut corn feilds close to hills with southern exposure...stay on the trails!...when not being harrased thats where the deer will be! I see that they will feed on any trees that are broken from things like heavy snow or wind storms , because there will already be buds showing on the upper branches even in jan and feb....good luck...bob

3. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

thanks for the info bob.. we were mostly checkin up on the duck blinds and some new stand locals for next year but if i stumble upon one in the future ill let you know.

4. My brother goes out looking for sheds every year. He usually takes his kids along with him, I'm hoping to go with him a couple times this year. He's found some pretty nice ones out there :)

5. Redbeard

Redbeard Senior Refuge Member

went out lookin today with no luck ill try again next week

6. jimfaststeel

jimfaststeel Senior Refuge Member

I went out for for about three hours Thurs. after work to our local refuge and it was starting to get dark when I stumbled across a bedding area that the bucks had been using. Talk about the shed gods shinning on me. Found a beautiful matched 5X5 set and also a little 3 pt. All three of these sheds were laying within twenty feet of each other.
    Some deer around here have dropped, but I was out late Fri. afternoon and seen four bucks that have not. Two of these were big boys. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and try it again.

7. goosekllr88

goosekllr88 Senior Refuge Member

Here is a picture of all the sheddings that i have found on nearby hills......

8. goosekllr88

here is a picture of all of the sheddings my brother has found...

9. goosekllr88

here is a huge mule deer antler my brother found elk hunting, along with a preety nice sized elk antler he found in the same area.

10. FETHRCUTTR

FETHRCUTTR Senior Refuge Member

AFTER THE SEASON HERE WE TAKE SOME HOG WIRE AND WRAP IT LOSELY AROUND A TREE AND ATTACH A 4 OR 5 INCH PLASTIC CONDUIT PIPE WHAT EVER LENGTH WE USE ABOUT 6FT PIPE. SO WHEN THE DEER COME TO FEED AT IT. SOMETIMES ITS ANTLERS HIT THE WIRE AND FALL OFF. FOUND A FEW SHEDS LIKE THAT.