Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Whitetail Antler Sheds

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Muck Mallard, Jan 14, 2003.

1. colinz

colinz Senior Refuge Member

Hey we have been finding quite a few here in western new york even with pretty unfavaorable conditions. My buddy and I have found 14 sheds and two dead bucks so far this year and we expect to at least double these numbers before we quit for the year.
    In the last two years we have found approx. 60 sheds and 20 dead bucks! Including some real hammers.

Colin

2. colinz

colinz Senior Refuge Member

Hey we have been finding quite a few here in western new york even with pretty unfavaorable conditions. My buddy and I have found 14 sheds and two dead bucks so far this year and we expect to at least double these numbers before we quit for the year.
    In the last two years we have found approx. 60 sheds and 20 dead bucks! Including some real hammers.

Colin

3. Z71Mag

Z71Mag Refuge Member

Went out to scout for turkeys this weekend when I looked out about 60 yards from the truck and saw this rack sticking out above the grass. It's the biggest rack i've ever found and i'm pretty proud of it. It ended up scoring 137 1\2.

4. oneshotonekill

oneshotonekill Senior Refuge Member

That is a nice pic....too bad you didn't get the pleasure of bagging that one!!

5. Dagoose304

Dagoose304 Senior Refuge Member

That's a nice find there

6. Buck17

Buck17 Senior Refuge Member

Finally, I was out for about an hour and a half last evening and I found three nice sheds! One five point and two four points.:sp The largest was the five point and if the other side is a match it would score around 140. Not a monster but nice in my books. The larger four point shows great potential for this fall too. It doesn't have as much mass as the five point but it has a nice long beam. It looks like it came from a younger deer so I'm anxious to see what he looks like this fall. I'm going out tonight and hopefully this weekend to see if I can find some matches to the three I found last night.

7. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I went out last weekend in ct and checked some open space land in suburbia....and found fout sheds...two samll forks. a three point that wasnt much bigger than a spike in size!!! and a real honey of a four point...the bean goes way out there...has about 6-7 inch bases...and the point afte the brows(g1, i think) is about 11 inches high!!!!! but the next point was broken, but it might have been 3/4 of that because it starts off about the same dia.....my buddy it hot to get into that area next year to hunt.....dont want to forget the 30+ ticks....three if which bit me...and now I have been itching them spots all week.........extra was the fact we walked up on groups of turkeys twice! to as close as 15 yards and the just walked along.....!!!!! one group had four longbeards with only one struttin...the other groups only had to tom which had about a 10"+ beard.....man if you got a gun in your hand they spook at 200 yards!!!!!!!....bob

8. Buck17

Buck17 Senior Refuge Member

Well, I went out again last night and I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I found four new antlers. Some of the bad news is that they don't match any of the three I found the day before:( . Some more good news; they're two complete sets:) and they're both really nice. One is a 5x5 which would score around 150 and the other is a 5x4 which would score around 130.:eek: Now for the really bad news, although it "is" cool; I won't be getting either of them this fall. I found them locked and dead. The spine was still attached to one of the skulls and there was bone and hair strewn all around them. I shudder to think of the slow, suffering death they endured. If only I could have walked up on them right after they got locked in the fall. I'll try to take a picture of them with a digital camera over the weekend and post it.

9. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

love to see those pictures...sounds like you have a good spot.....I have never found a locked set...found just about everything else though.....I keep having to remind my buddy when we go, WHERE EXACTLY we should be looking...see he is still a deer hunter, while I dont deer hunt that much anymore...I look for antlers...he wants to SCOUT AND find antlers....for me thats not such a good deal, because the deer usually arent shedding their antlers where they need to be hunted in nov.!!!!!!!!! now that is especially true this year because the snow was thick and stayed a long time....we go up the ridges and sure enough the place is covered with acorns...he wonders why we dont find any antlers there......well!!!!!! for all of january it was covered with 2 feet of snow and had a hard crust on it!!!!!.....they were where they could at least get SOMETHING to eat....peoples back yards!!!!! and cedars, and swamps that had berry bushes and prickers bushes...we go there now and see the tops of everything up to 5 foot high all eaten off!!!!!! bingo thats the spot...........looking for antlers and looking for deer are two totally different things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...bob

10. Muck Mallard

Muck Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Was out scouting for turkey sign the other day for the up comming season when I stumbled onto this antler shed.
    It's a small shed but I found it odd that there was no brow tine but one further up and on the back side.What do you guys think?