Who for some custom decoys?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by ALMODUX, Dec 16, 2017.

1. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Have decided to try to have some decoys made like I need, since I don’t have the time, patience, and skill.

I need keel-less, river keeled, or such....that allows excellent movement on mostly flat water in light wind.

After that, super durable, obviously as lifelike as possible, self-righting if possible with no/minimal keel, and not too terribly heavy.

I’m looking for a smattering of mallard, black duck, wood duck, and maybe some teal or others....mainly mallards and wood ducks. Pure backwater setup that I don’t have to worry about movement or durability on. Primarily Texas rigged and not wrapped.

Where’s that leave me, and who with.

2. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I buy quality decoys & cut the keels off. Then drill holes thru the plastic keel rib that you left on the decoy----it's where the heavy keel attaches to the decoy. With different positioned holes for rigging your line, it affects the decoys positioning. Various rigging holes equals decoys facing differently---not all the same. Now, when you tie your cord in those 2 (side by side holes) holes, do so using a #5 fishing swivel & old fashion thin nylon decoy cord. Then attach your decoy rigging cord & anchor to the swivel. Try it & you'll see how easily & unrestricted they move ib the slightest breeze. A small monetary & time cost to pay for great back water decoy movement.

Ringbill

Clayton likes this.
  3. ALMODUX

Used to do similar and probably still could with cheap plastics, but I’m tired of cheap plastics and I’ll never use regular cord again. Haven’t used regular decoy cord for shallow water in years. I’m looking for some tough, higher end dekes that fit what I need.

4. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

You are going to be hard pressed to find a light keel-less bird that will self-right. I messed with some urethane decoys and cut the weighted keel off. With the weight of the head high on the bird and even a very round back, the birds simply will not flip if there is no weighted keel to initiate the flip. We used to use the hollow suck-duck style Decoy Unlimited birds without a keel for excellent movement and a super light body...but they have to be set...they will not self-right. Probably the toughest bird you can get right now would be a urethane molded bird and then cut the keel off...but you lose the self-righting qualities.

5. ALMODUX

Lots of times the Texas rigging will flip a deke, if there’s enough weight/friction, and we can always flip them with a grabber or by hand. However, first priorities are movement and durability. Self righting is a preference, but not a deal breaker. Weight is not that high on the list, as I’m figuring on foamers or such, and we’re rarely talking more than a dozen, and usually half that.....a few mallards and woodies, and we can cover a hole.
    The old herters ‘bump’ keel was pretty good for movement in light wind, too.

6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a need for some suck ducks are in order,not sure who makes them now.I think Drake had a version and maybe Dakota or Mojo ,have something that might work.

7. ALMODUX

Dakota has some plastic ‘dabblers’ but I’m not sure how the flocking holds up. Not sure I need that, especially if it’s a durability issue.

8. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

I do the same as Ringbill. Works great, reduces space and weight also.

9. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Need some hand carved birds it sounds like. Some good foamers would work.

10. ALMODUX

Most likely. Just not sure who/where to look. Maybe some of the models from ure-a-duck would work, but I’d just like some feedback on those or similar.

Those suggesting I modify some plastics, have apparently missed some stuff in the thread. I’ve been modifying plastics for 30 years. They don’t last.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017