Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Who Has all the ducks??

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by junkie, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Goo$e Killer22

Goo$e Killer22 Refuge Member

It is what it is whoever did or didn't i don't care i was just asking a question not here to argue about this anymore just wanted to know how one person can get in trouble and the other who was also committing the same crime not. If its your friend or you who is getting offended sorry. But my thing is of you know your wrong why continue to do it why not look elsewhere for work???? Just saying

2. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

We can all argue over who is right, wrong, guilty, innocent here, but, until the trial and all is out in the air, we don't have a clue who all will or will not be charged. Just because some are not charged with knowledge of or helping, more indictments can and I bet still will be made. And that could even include indictments and/or citations for knowledge of what was happening. Or it could be very rough on some one who knew it was going on as a witness for the Feds whether or not you want to or not. There are all kinds of deals that can be made in something like this to make sure they slam dunk the main person(s) The long arm of the law most likely isn't over yet so just keep watching as it aint over till it's over. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when the first court appearance is scheduled for? Or has it been held?

3. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

I was interested in this so I got out the Google Earth. For interested parties, the gps coordinates of the pit are:
    43*44'50.08"N and 116*53'56.96"W. If you scroll back the date to October 2013, you can see exactly how the corn was cut. It looks like the pit is gone now.

4. heelfetch

heelfetch New Member

your loaded questions are the argument you claim not to want, as you answer them right away. If you want a civil discourse ask your questions and see if they can be answered.
    As of yet I am not aware of a court date but maybe one of Greg's pal can jump on here and let us in on the inside info.

5. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

Why would a worker turn him in unless he was also a hunter?Afterall, it is not illegal to bait a field. It is illegal to HUNT a baited field. Would you guys be complaining if he continued to bait the fields, but didn't allow any hunting?

6. TOWgunner

TOWgunner Senior Refuge Member

I gotta ask, Were Ag jobs falling off trees or would someone not want to dump their employment and providing for a family in the bang up economy that was 2008-2011? I'm guessing getting by was taking precedent over ducks at that time.

7. junkie

junkie Refuge Member

8. junkie

junkie Refuge Member

Guilty on both counts

9. RedlegsId

RedlegsId Senior Refuge Member

BOISE — A federal jury has found a Parma man guilty of baiting ducks.

Gregory Obendorf, 60, was found guilty in Boise Monday of conspiracy to bait migratory birds and placing bait for migratory birds, both in violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, according to U.S. Attorney Wendy J. Olson.

Obendorf was indicted Nov. 10.

The jury found that Obendorf conspired with other people from November 2007 to January 2014 to place bait for ducks for the purpose of allowing others to hunt over the bait on his farm located on the Boise River in Parma. The jury also convicted Obendorf of directing the placement of bait for duck hunting in November 2013.

The jury heard evidence over the seven-day trial that at the beginning of duck hunting season each year of the conspiracy, the defendant instructed his combine operators to partially combine his corn field to intentionally discharge corn kernels onto the field.

Agents from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service flew over the defendant’s property in November 2013 and observed piles of corn near a duck blind from the air. Agents and officers from the Idaho Department of Fish and Game then entered Obendorf’s corn field and discovered that the entire corn field was baited.

After baiting the field with corn, Obendorf would flood the corn field and allow hunters to shoot ducks over the baited field. The jury also heard evidence that Obendorf instructed another individual to use a tractor to knock down standing corn in the field at night before his guests would hunt the field the following day.

Obendorf boasted in a recorded conversation with Idaho Fish and Game officers that he had more than 200,000 ducks in the baited field during the 2013 hunting season. Several hunters who had been invited by Obendorf testified at trial that they hunted the corn field during the course of the conspiracy and that they were able to take their limits of ducks in under an hour.
    The charges of conspiracy to bait migratory birds and placing bait for migratory game birds are each punishable by not more than one year in prison, a maximum fine of $100,000, and not more than one year of supervised release or up to five years of probation.

Obendorf’s sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 2.

The case was investigated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Idaho Department of Fish and Game.

10. junkie

junkie Refuge Member