Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Who is heading up late?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Bucky Goldstein, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Bucky Goldstein

Bucky Goldstein Senior Refuge Member

2. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

I am. Going to be interesting is right.

3. canman omaddie

canman omaddie Senior Refuge Member

Heading up Wednesday.

why interesting??

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Bring your ice skates and power auger....or sandals and sunscreen

This is the time of year you roll the dice. You can get frozen out, or have the best hunts of the year.

7-11

5. MikeH55343

MikeH55343 New Member

Got into Winnipeg last night. Wished I had packed my early season jacket. 36 degrees at sunrise today.

6. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like Tuesday it starts getting cold. Still a pile of birds around way up north from what I have heard. Hope to hit is just right. Gotta love these before the hunt nerves, but I can't control the weather! That is what I get for rolling the dice!

7. Bucky Goldstein

Bucky Goldstein Senior Refuge Member

I definitely can relate. The pre trip anticipation is bad enough without adding weather concerns to the mix.

8. Perry Thorvig

Perry Thorvig Refuge Member

We'll be leaving Minneapolis on Saturday morning for southern SK. The various weather services are predicting light rain or rain/snow mix starting on Monday the 25th. That sounds like the first precipatation they have had up there in quite awhile.

9. canman omaddie

canman omaddie Senior Refuge Member

see ya Sunday I'm out!!!!

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

We had hard frost Sat night and last night. A little ice on the ponds, but not much. Mallards will stick around here for quite awhile,but impossible to hunt. THey are night feeding, coming out with full moon after LST and dumping into the standing wheat and barley by the 10's of thousands. They leave before dawn and go into the flooded meadows where they loaf all day. If you travel the valley during the day, you don't see a single bird. None in the marsh either.

I've been skunked 3 days in a row, with birds dropping into blocks 2 minutes after LST. Frustrating as all heck.:mad:

I can only hope for colder weather , when the birds will start feeding twice daily.

Snow geese left yesterday and Canadas are about 70% gone as well. Smaller ducks left last week. Just mainly mallards and pintails left up here (I am 400 miles North of ND/MB border ). You should have good huntable birds for a couple weeks I would think. I hope to hunt up here till mid-November this year if weather cooperates.