Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Who is heading up late?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Bucky Goldstein, Oct 18, 2010.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

You city boys are kinda wimpy. Gusts up here to 74kph means the birds are going to be flying fast . I'll be out with my winter gear on and we'll see how low the mallards will be flying into the barley!:tu

Looks like southern MB is going to get hit harder than us. The fields inside the permimeter were a quagmire after 24 hours of straight rain, and the snow will turn them into MB gumbo. Good luck wading in the fields. We've been doing it up here for 2 months now.

[​IMG]

2. bang you'r dead

Well that was interesting. Freezing rain last night made the roads a skating rink. No snow really, but black ice made for an interesting jaunt this morning. I was going on the main road west and wind gusts of up to 90 kph were hitting me from the north east. On one stretch of road, I changed lanes without moving the steering wheel. :pra:eek::pra:eek:. Not a good feeling. Switched to 4WD and slowed down to about 15 mph for the rest of the journey. Luckily field was only a few miles out in the valley. Put up 1 spinner and a handful of fuds in the water at the edge of some standing wheat and laid down in the half-frozen mud. Temp with windchill was -8. The shooting was interesting. The birds would rocket downwind and bank into the wind and hover, actually moving backwards while faced upwind. I sat up and they flared their wings and were instantly 100 yds away in the blink of an eye. I've never had anything like that happen before. I might as well had a single shot, as I could only get one shot off per flock as they flared downwind in a blink of an eye. My camera battery was dead and I only wish you could have seen these birds move with the wind, probably the coolest thing I have seen while hunting in quite awhile.

3. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Nope just smarter than temping fates on slick icy roads just to shoot a duck. Wait until tomorrow when the wind dies down a bit and don't have to get soaked to the bone. :dv

4. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

I am crossing my fingers- will be west of all this snow, hope the ice doesn't get too crazy. That is what I get for rolling the dice late!

5. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

Well Bang.....had my first walk in today and I feel for your entire season of walking in to hunt. I used a much smaller spread today.

First 30 kms @ 90 km/hr, last 40 kms @ 20-40 km/hr. Had to play it safe for sure this am. Lots of wind and rain but the snow stopped early before shooting time. Ended up with 10 blues and a couple of ducks. Tough shootin in the heavy wind but those that came in were committed.

Most fields still full this morning, scattered pockets galore.......

Off to SE Alberta next week for specks and snows...

6. Chris Benson

Took a drive tonight and found small - large pockets of birds all over the place, Canadas, snows ducks! Never fired a shot though, all the birds were sitting in the middle of the fields

7. bang you'r dead

I thought I heard some banging from Big Lake the other day. I talked to my friend Omar, and he and another friend hammered the mallards in Big Lake. The lake had been inaccessible until the floating bog moved out with a big east wind and they went in, breaking 2-3 inches of ice all the way. They ended up with 178? on Monday, 138 mallards on Tuesday, 80 yesterday, and only 40 today. He's now done for the season. We'll be out tomorrow for our 8 mallards each, which is enough to clean IMO. We'll have a treaty with us tomorrow, so the birds could rack up pretty high.

Kind of like Argentina if you have a treaty number....:tu

8. Chris Benson

Man, I bet that will feed the whole community for quite a few days! I hate to think how many shells they fired.:no

9. bang you'r dead

Knowing Omar, he probably shot 90% or better. He kills more birds in a year than most of us will do in a lifetime. I've hunted with him and his uncle quite a bit, and I was always concerned about what happens to the birds, but I can guarantee not one is wasted. Most are distributed within an hour or two of harvest thoughout the community. Omar also does outdoor ed and takes the kids bird hunting, moose hunting, fishing, camping etc and is a real asset to get the kids back out in the outdoors. He was also featured on our Trappers Festival bit on Rick Mercer. He is the guy doing the goose and moose call at 4:27 of this video. Pretty amazing caller of geese and moose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTEhteAyLfU

By the way, CJOCN from the site is the guy hauling the flour at 4:00.

10. Cinch

Cinch Senior Refuge Member

Sounds more like greedy number...