Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Who is heading up late?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Bucky Goldstein, Oct 18, 2010.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Nahh, not greedy. Most native hunters don't even pick up a gun until right now, with 1-2 weeks left before freezeup. They will fill their freezers for the winter (they do this all in the spring as well when the birds come back up north), and make sure the elders and community church larders are full as well. They are less concerned with the sport of duck hunting, rather the food supplied by duck hunting. Different mentality, and it took me a few years of hunting up here to accept it. If anything, a very pure use of the resource. I've seen 150+ ducks get distributed to family, friends and elders within an hour after a hunt, and its pretty nice to see the smiles and get the thank-yous from them.

Time for me to stop typing and get my stuff together for today's hunt.:tu

2. LongJohn

LongJohn Refuge Member

Bang....Loved the video clip. Man can that guy call geese. Never heard anyone do it that good with the natural voice.

3. bang you'r dead

Four friends from Cormorant hunted the barley all day. 2 cases of shells later they were done about 6pm. They had four layout blinds. This was the contents of one of them.

[​IMG]

I can honestly say I've never seen that many dead ducks when they were all piles up. My camera battery died, or you could have had the half-ton picture. It was something.

4. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

First time to hunt in snow - 'been prepared for it, but never hit it just right......(not that kinda snow). It's a lot better than mud (hunted in that, too). Plowed fields was a big surprise but we understand and support the farmers needing to take advantage of what few breaks Ma Nature has dealt them in the last 2 years.

Last hunt was November 10th during the second wrap-around snow off the back side of that 'low' - 12"-worth, but fortunately not with the 34kph wind that came with that first blow just before Halloween. Hey, that was a good'un, Eh?

Drifts too deep for pick-up - road too slick for the big trailer - so we drove the quad and sled 2 miles into the stinging snow from the cabin across fields to get to where we thought the birds would hit after fly-out. Deployed spread from quad.......'had 4 dz Higdon honker shells, 2 ground blinds, dog and gear for 2 gunners.
    [​IMG]

Sure-enough, they cleared the treeline and glided right-in.

[​IMG]
    Picking-up the spread.

Only put-out 2-1/2 dz decoys and cut set-up short because birds were trying to land on us. 16 honks real quick.

[​IMG]
    Dog says, "now ya talkin' - how 'bout a beer!"

I think the geese headed South that afternoon 'cause all I heard on the lake the following morning was swans........and they flew Southward about 9:00 a.m. - a flock of 60........never heard or saw another bird the rest of that day or while packing the trailer the next dawn. It was 15F when we left on Friday a.m., the 12th - Another snow 2 days out, so it was definately time for us to head South with the birds.
    [​IMG]View for the first 2 hours from Mid-latitude SK Friday, November 12th - hit one patch of 9F temps that morning. Snow, ice, dark, and fog = bad combination. Ignorance is bliss.

5. bang you'r dead

My last day hunting was last Monday morning, and there were only a few hundred mallards left. Snow was heavy the next two days and temps dropped down to single digits (5F). Froze up solid. I had the 2 mile hunt as well, but had to walk in, as it was a standing wheat field. Thank goodness ground was frozen and we pulled tobogans.

I'll post video later.

6. Ducks?!?

Ducks?!? Elite Refuge Member

Glad to see you guys are finally finishing up, and the birds are MOVING ON DOWN SOUTH!!!

7. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

One week later - I go scout an area back home (Mississippi) and find 200 BW Teal and some gadwalls in a moist soil area - our season opens this Friday. 'Was not real fired-up about hunting prospects back home after SK trip.......but 200 teal wadded-up, helps ease the post-SK depression.

From 2000 honkers in a snow-covered barley field a week ago - to severe depression first week home - to (now) hoping the incoming weather doesn't push these teal out........I love this roller-coaster I'm on right now! It's gonna be a good season no matter what Ma Nature throws at us from here on-out.

Never thought I'd have to drive 2000 miles one way to hunt teal in a T-shirt.:no