Who shoots SxS or O/U?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Delta G, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Delta G

Delta G Elite Refuge Member

I grew up shooting a 16ga Lefever given to me by my Dad. I then bought a Winchester 101 when I was on an R&R in Japan and have shot it ever since. I also have other sxs guns in 16ga and a Miroku 12 that I bought for my Brother in Japan, but he gave it back to me. I recently bought a CZ 20 sxs--I've never had a lighter gauge and wanted to try one. I have always liked a sxs or o/u in that I had a choice of chokes for whatever flew buy, they seem safer that pumps or autos, there are few moving parts, and I just like the way they look. What do you shoot, and why?

2. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

Delta G,
    I'm currently shooting a Russian Baikal MP-153 semi-auto with a 24" barrel. I prefer a semi-auto over a pump because the pumping action itself seems to "unsettle" my shooting form and I have to reshoulder the shotgun for the second and third shots.

My next shotgun will be an O/U. I like the fit and feel of a semi-auto and an O/U, since I don't have to work the action and can remain focused on the intended target. I like the way an O/U points better than my semi-auto, but shoot them both equally well. :)

It's all good! :tu

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

3. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

I predominently shoot a Browning Citori Waterfowl Edition. Why? Because it fits me like a dream and I can shoot it very well.

Rubberhead likes this.
  4. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

There's nothing like a nice SxS in your hands while picking up the flush of a quail covey, grouse, pheasant or any other upland bird. An O/U is my second choice. :tu

I use a semi-auto for duck/goose, with an 870 as backup, but only because the third shot comes in handy occasionally, and I refuse to take my SxS or O/U's into the swamps.

5. HTDUCK

HTDUCK Elite Refuge Member

I shoot em all.Duck guns are a Pintail an 870 and a SuperX2.I shoot a Ugartechea 12ga SxS as an upland gun and have several O/Us that also see duty as upland guns.One trigger,two triggers,auto,pump or break open,I like 'em all and think they all have a place.If I were to choose one gun and had to get rid of all the rest it would be an 870.But since life is too short to hunt with one ugly shotgun........................... :rolleyes:

6. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

I prefer SxS for all my upland hunting. My favorite is an A.H. Fox in 16 ga.,but I've been known to carry about any of the older American SxS's. I usually don't take my SxS's for waterfowl,my beater gun for waterfowl is a Benelli SBE.

Dennis

7. Ninetyvtwin

Ninetyvtwin Senior Refuge Member

I use a SKB 12ga o/u with a carlson extended decoy choke in the bott barrel and a carlson extended mid range choke in the top barrel for all of my duck and goose hunting with a benelli m1 as my back up. I hunt saltwater marshes and beaches.

Mike

8. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a Beretta Pigeon II. I wanted a nice over/under and to my surprise I shoot it better than my auto's. It's just part of the waterfowler progression.

9. blunder

blunder Elite Refuge Member

I have been hunting ducks with an O/U for over 40 years, so I don't plan on changing that any time soon.

tom

10. scauper

scauper Senior Refuge Member

Delta G,

"R&R in Japan".......were you there from Vietnam? I was in Japan on R&R back in 68. When I first went to nam it was 1966.....I managed to get to the big PX that was in Cholon (Saigon) I almost bought a Browning Midas Grade 20 ga....If I remember it was around $300.00. They got rid of the guns about 2 months later. Anyways, "Welcome Home"

I shoot a SxS 10 bore occassionally but have cervical problems and can't shoot the real heavy loads.....picked up some Federal Tungsten Polymer 1 3/4 oz shells in 6's & 4's....the gun is heavy but balanced really well.... more like a big push rather than a hard kick......I'm only 153 lbs & small framed and kind of like a willow in the wind so I don't absorb a lot of recoil like a heavy stout fellow would. My brother-in-law has a Belgian Browning Superimposed that I have used hunting ducks & pheasants....it is a sweet shooter!