Who totes a shotgun along?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by huntinjunkie, Dec 14, 2015.

1. huntinjunkie

huntinjunkie Senior Refuge Member

I spent much of last season carrying both but only needed the shotgun 1X. Anyone else think it's a good/bad idea?
    I'm a huge fan of the 4buck out to 60yds through my probore choke but not a fan of lugging it around if it's not needed. I hike to each stand.

Chip
    Maine

2. FordF-150

FordF-150 Senior Refuge Member

Usually carry mine along. Rather have it if I need it. Usually shooting dead Coyote.

3. smackin snows

smackin snows Senior Refuge Member

If your shots are usually over the 50 yard mark I'd just bring the rifle. With the scope power dialed down.if the shotgun is only an occasional shot I wouldn't lug it around

4. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

If I'm hunting with someone else one of us will lug the shotgun along, if we're calling in a contest it's coming for sure, but if it's just me hiking into the pasture and I'm planning on dragging a coyote out, it gets left in the pickup and I only take the rifle

5. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

no, my close gun is a 6 shot 44mag carbine with a 1-6x24 sitting up top.

fun, it's quick because it's a true one power scope on the low end, and it has an illuminated horse shoe around the center dot.

However, my last several coyotes have been shot under 30 yards, most on the move, and I was running just my longer range rifle with an 8-32x56 power scope. One was about 15 feet trying to make it into standing corn.

being a waterfowler helps when needing to get that extra power on a close dog, we naturally know how to do it, but it's nice to have the close range rig now too.

6. ksgoosekilr

ksgoosekilr Elite Refuge Member

Shot one at 50 yards in the melon 2 days ago. We didn't know how well it would work but now we carry both. Coyote hunting has been hot the last week

7. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

Yes I carry both but in the same gun.

16ga sxs over 6.5x58R(about like a 25-35 Win), very accurate , sub MOA to 200 yards. Perfect for tighter cover or open forests.

[​IMG]

12ga over 5.6x50R Magnum(222 Rem Mag on steroids) great in the manzinitas and heavy sage.

[​IMG]

ShooterMclovin likes this.
  8. 2dogs1949

2dogs1949 Senior Refuge Member

Here in New Jersey, we can use 25 cal or less during the day and must use shotgun at night. I shoot .223 and 12ga T shot Dead Coyote. I have yet to kill one but not for a lack of trying. They just don't respond to calling, at least my calling.

9. Lonehowl

Lonehowl New Member

I run a shotgun in tighter cover, real foggy days when you cant see very far (which happens here a lot in California) but mostly in the steep brushy terrain that I hunt bobcat and grey fox in. I do use it a lot in open ground coyote calling, just because. Ive shot a Mossy 835 since they came out, but have switched to a 930 auto last year or so as my predator shotty. I dont carry a rifle and shotgun both on stand, done a lot of that and its just not worth it to me. For some guys it is though.
    Mark

[​IMG]006 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

[​IMG]008 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

[​IMG]20151124_184058 by Lonehowl, on Flickr