Who would you have make a call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by NBHunter, Jul 15, 2018.

1. NBHunter

NBHunter Elite Refuge Member

So I’ve been on this forum since 2006. Back then there were lots of sponsors that made calls and there were tons of really great guys making calls. I know there still are lots of guys out there still and they are doing great work.

So I was in Hawaii last week and picked up a stick of Curley Koa. The piece is about 20 inches long but really only has about 8-10 inches that have really nice figure to it. So I want to get 2 calls made out of it by the same call maker. I want one for show and one to give a try in the field.

I haven’t been on here much in recent years, but would be interested in getting some opinions from all of you. I’ve got some ideas already, but think getting a few more ideas would be nice. Thanks in advance.

2. BDavis

BDavis Refuge Member

I really like DLC calls quite a bit. I don’t have much experience with many other companies but have had nothing but good service from DLC. Cold from calls intrigue me though.

3. drk9988

drk9988 Senior Refuge Member

Do you want duck call, goose call or whistle?

JJ Lares T-1 or Hybrid
    Coastal Calls Buddy Stippich- Whistle or Goose
    Heron Game Calls- Goose

4. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

First choice would be a Cadence Closer ... Not so distant second would be a RM Cold weather fan. Good luck getting in on the custom books with RM though might as well keep looking for the lost city of Atlantis or Bigfoot....I got in once and should have ordered two right away ... thankfully his CNC acrylic offerings are outstanding as well.

Goose call - of the guys I know of who would do it - Trevor with Black Timber Calls. I have an acrylic overload that is awesome. I don't know Trevor personally but his calls are great.

freefall likes this.
  5. NBHunter

NBHunter Elite Refuge Member

I've got a Lares T1 SB, got several from Stletz...both duck and goose...GREAT calls. Got a bunch of Doc HUll calls that are gorgeous and I use quite often hunting.and have several from Brian Watkins that both look and sound great.. Got several from Joe Kolter and have a great call from Scott Simmons and Jason Jenkins that are beautiful and sound wonderful as well....but I don't have any from Stump. Sounds like it's a waiting game...which I don't mind at all because it would be worth it. Also none from Trevor or Ducklander. Appreciate the comments guys.

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

It may be tough to get 2 calls as they need clearance etc. to turn calls. Lares is possibility, Stump when he opens up custom book again, cold front. Many more on facebook than here now.

7. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Hands down Cold Front Calls

8. Goose Isle Gunner

Goose Isle Gunner Elite Refuge Member

Pretty hard to get anything made from most of the guys that used to frequent this forum. I've got a few blanks myself with no place to go lol. Seriously thinking about getting some custom knives done lol :z

9. zim

zim Elite Refuge Member

As said above, a lot of the older familiar custom names RM, C&S, Addiction, Brad Samples, etc. have their books closed to new custom orders as do some of the more popular newer names Battle Creek, MR Calls, etc.

A few you might try that I don’t believe have wait lists are Kent Eason at Eason Cajun Calls, Randy at Cold Front or Rob Zuttermeister.

goosehunter64 likes this.
  10. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I appreciate the recommendation, but my custom books are closed indefinitely. Just too far behind on custom orders and very limited shop time, I need to catch up with orders that I already have.

If you are looking for a good hand turned goose call out of your wood give Rusty Heron a shout.