Who's going to Cold Bay?

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Grizzly1, Aug 24, 2012.

1. ogrejager

ogrejager Senior Refuge Member

Great place to stay--you can't have better hosts. This year was the first year in 6 I haven't been up there (something about my 10th wedding anniversary and having missed the last 5).

Here's a picture of Bill's wall after a couple of days hunting:

[​IMG]

And here's a special duck (well, two) I shot out there a year ago in 2 weeks:

[​IMG]

2. woodie_4

woodie_4 Elite Refuge Member

Nice! What time of year did you shoot the Eurasians?

3. Grizzly1

Grizzly1 Refuge Member

Thanks for sharing the pics ogrejager, looks like you had a fantastic trip and that Eurasian is quite the bonus bird!

Only 20 days left for me :tu

4. ogrejager

"And here's a special duck (well, two) I shot out there a year ago in 2 weeks:"

5. 20gabismuth

20gabismuth Elite Refuge Member

You do know that is two different outfitters involved don't you?? I'm just about sure you just can't stroll over to Cold Bay and hunt without using Wasley or the other guide over there..........

6. ogrejager

May you see many of these:

[​IMG]

And have days like these:

[​IMG]

7. noladucks

noladucks Senior Refuge Member

why?

8. 20gabismuth

20gabismuth Elite Refuge Member

nola.........he won a trip to Nelson Lagoon, a 45 minute plus flight only back to Cold Bay. The Nelson trip is specifically for common eider and you have lodging, meals, gear, guide and everything else involved.

If he wants to go fly to Cold Bay with just himself, no decoys or no where to go.....that's his call.

My point being it sounds like he thinks Cold Bay is just an option with his freebee. I believe I'd have a place to stay lined up as well someone there with decoys and to show me where to go (i.e. a guide).

Maybe he does......he just didn't elaborate.

We're taking the same trip in a few weeks. We've started discussions with Capt. Jeff Wasley to see if he even has any openings or what's still gonna be around at that point. You have connecting flights you have to deal with, lodging, etc.

9. Grizzly1

Grizzly1 Refuge Member

Made it back to town earlier this week from Cold Bay, what a trip! Made a few new friends, had a few great shoots over the decoys and saw some amazing country,, my eyes and shoulder are still aching (grin). I'll post a few pics if the memory card still works, camera went for a swim!! Hope everyone who made it out there had a safe and successful hunt, maybe we'll cross paths next October!

10. AleutianKing

AleutianKing Elite Refuge Member

Ron, Congrats on your recent hunt sorry i couldn't make it out with you this year and losing your camera sucks. Sounds Like You and the crew had a great hunt with Bill Saiger your Outfitter. Sounds like next year we will be out there with you, just like the old days. Hope to see ya this winter .