Who's using a 28 guage?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by duckpoop, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Elite Refuge Member

sounds great. how long is the season on them? how are they as table fare?

2. Husker870

Husker870 Senior Refuge Member

I'll take your word for how many birds you shot. I'll tell you straight up I didn't shoot anywhere near that number this year. You must have a lot of free time. Thats hunting about half the total number of elgible days here in Nebraska.

As far as whether a chuckar is tougher to bring down then a pheasant- I don't know. Never shot a chuckar. I am suprised that so many people don't think pheasants are a tough bird.

Pictures aren't neccesary, we've all got them. But if you've got some pics of good looking dogs then by all means post em up.

3. D3Smartie

well 120 birds would be limiting 40 times here in WA. that is a ton of free time.
    people arent saying they arent tough, just that a chukar is tougher.

4. Husker870

Husker870 Senior Refuge Member

I'd like to hunt chuckar some time- or maybe not. The terrain looks beautiful but it might kill me before I was able to bag a bird. My dog also has a habit of jumping over the edges of creeks before looking how far down it is- not a big deal when it's 8 feet down but out where you guys hunt........:eek:

5. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

Now that everybody is being nice, I'll come out and play again. I really don't have that much free time. I took vacation from work and hunted 10 days in Montana and took my allowed 30 birds. I didn't keep track of my exact # of days in WA, but it was around 35 days to get the other 90. I only hunted on my every other Friday off, every weekend day and every holiday, except Thanksgiving day and Christmas day (can only push it so far with the wife). I didn't take any vacation from work to hunt upland in WA. I'm very fortunate to have a saint for a wife that puts up with my obsession, two very good dogs (doesn't everybody have good dogs?), good places to hunt and I'm not too shabby on my shooting. That's how I get it done. I'm a working stiff like most guys, but over the years I started concentrating on roosters and I go every opportunity possible. I cut out deer hunting and only waterfowl for the most part when the upland season is over. Not saying that's what everybody should do and it doesn't make me any better of a man, but that's what I enjoy and I go at it hard.

I will post some pics when I get home of my dogs. Can't do it from work. I don't know if you'll find them good looking, but I'm pretty partial to them.

D3, I don't own a 28 gauge. I have yet to see a reason to get one. That's cool that you had one handed down to you. If I had one, I'm sure I would enjoy it for doves and quail, but I wouldn't hunt pheasants with it. I shoot a Beretta Silver Pigeon, 12 gauge for everything except waterfowl and turkeys. I have a Beretta Extrema for waterfowl and turkeys. Some day the 12 may get to heavy to carry and I'll think about a smaller gauge, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I was thinking about your steadfastness for the 28 and how you say it can be shot as well as any of the heavier gauges. Interested in showing me? How about some rounds of skeet at Eagle Lakes sometime in the next month? Loser buys lunch? 28 against the 12. Doesn't sound fair to me, but you say it is. You can bring a friend along to keep it fun in case you don't find my company too enjoyable. What do you say?

6. D3Smartie

husker... it is tough country. If your feet aren't caloused or your boots dont fit correctly, or worse both, you can end up with some serious blisters. been there, done that. I have had almost the complete bottom of my foot fall off from dead skin. Moleskin can be a life saver. Early and often.
    There arent many cliffs where i hunt, some, but not many. The toughest part of the hunting is sidehilling. Trying to walk across uneven ground without looking can be tough but when one foot is 2 feet higher than the other it makes it damn near impossible to keep your eyes up. Add snow or frozen ground and it gets downright dangerous.
    They live in the most extreme country people hunt (save for the himilayn snow ****) and the weather can range from scorching hot to following the snow line. It can be incredible if the bottom of the snow line is just above a lake...:grvn :eek:

SCTC- so you have no experience with them... You have watched 1?2?3? people shoot them and base your entire case off of this without ever shooting one yourself? BRILLIANT.
    Beside the fact that i am not driving over the pass again to shoot clays, (ducks yes, clays no) the only thing you could prove is who is a better shot, not whether or not the 28 can kill pheasants.

7. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

D3- The ptarmigan season runs from August through March 31 here in SC Alaska, and generally to mid April in other areas. Thats a pretty long season, with bags ranging from 5 to 20 per day depending on the unit. Most areas I hunt, the bag is 10 per day, and its generally not too hard, although, there have been some real skinny days too. But, thats the way its supposed to be. If you ever find yourself up here, give me a shout.

8. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

SCTC- so you have no experience with them... You have watched 1?2?3? people shoot them and base your entire case off of this without ever shooting one yourself? BRILLIANT.
    Beside the fact that i am not driving over the pass again to shoot clays, (ducks yes, clays no) the only thing you could prove is who is a better shot, not whether or not the 28 can kill pheasants.

Oh, I've shot a 28 at clays. A have friends that own them and who let me shoot them from time to time. Not the same as live birds, but I could tell the difference between a 28 and a 12 on how hard I was breaking the clays. I would lack confidence with the 28 on wild roosters and that's why I wouldn't shoot it or have any reason to own one at this point. This horse is dead. We don't agree and will probably won't agree anytime soon.

Your point is valid on on the clay shooting. It's a good decision on your part not to show up. I have to admit I was looking forward to that big, free lunch, though.

9. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

My English pointer, Junior and my GSP, Rose in some pictures.

Attached Files:

10. D3Smartie

yes you are right... i am very scared of shooting clays with you...:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

shooting clays with a 28 cannot show you one way or the other. It only proves that you cant shoot a 28. Maybe if i am over on that side of the mountains i will take you up on a little shoot. Just that driving 3 hrs both ways and then having to risk the pass when i have already spent one night in my truck up there isnt exactly assuring.
    Any idiot that goes out and isnt familiar with a gun or doesnt shoot regularly isnt going to shoot well. I know that when i switch guns it can take a few shots to get adjusted...

so what have we learned from this thread... That a 28 ga can kill roosters. SCTC doesnt want people to shoot at roosters because they might get crippled. Unless you shoot 120 birds a year you should not hunt pheasants. We also learned that SCTC bases his entire opinion on no personal field experience and that it is only based on shooting a 28 occasionally. People that have 28s and shoot them, say that they are quite capable... in other words, people that know what they are talking about agree that a 28 can shoot roosters and is a surprisingly good gun for being such a small gauge. SCTC on the other hand likes to run his mouth about a subject in which he has partial experience, another refuge expert :rolleyes:
    If you, SCTC, cannot shoot a 28 then dont. Just because you dont break clays as hard with your occasional 28ga shot doesnt mean it isnt a capable gun.

Walter Sobchak: Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element! :l

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.