Who's using a 28 guage?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by duckpoop, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

From a couple of different hunts this past season in Washington.

Attached Files:

2. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

Yes, D3 you have once again shown how smart you are and how little I really know. Take my comments to the furthest stretch of the truth in your attempt to look intelligent. Whatever, dude. As limited as my experience is with the 28, I've seen enough crippled pheasants by others who shoot it to keep my distance from them and to pass along my predjudice against them as worthy pheasant guns. I've also read some articles by well regarded shooting columnists who have denounced it as a viable pheasant gun. If you ever get out and really shoot at a lot of pheasants in a year, let me know what really happens over the course of a season. I really don't give a rats who shoots a 28 for pheasants, I just know I won't be one of them.

Nice tap dance around the clays shoot. Like I said, you made a wise decision.

3. 3-1/2in.steel

3-1/2in.steel Elite Refuge Member

SCTC,

Some nice pictures and some good looking pointers. I had a friend ( ex friend ) who I have hunted with that has 3 English Pointers , two liver ,and one black. Great dogs ... I am just partial to flushers ;)

I am not going anywhere near this 28 debate .... I just recently got a 16 ga. O/U for all of my upland hunting :yes

I guide at a local club and over on this side of the Mississippi our Pheasants are tougher than our Chuckars but they are all pen raised birds so :p

I am lucky enough to put up 100-200 birds over my dogs each year ,but again this is at the club. I am dying to get out west in the next year or two so we will see how those real wild birds are . :tu

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Elite Refuge Member

hell if you want to come over here and shoot, you name the time and place. We have a range on the island but its no eagle lakes.
    Until you get some personal experience with a 28 shut your hole. You have no basis for your comments. :tu

one last thing... you are shooting a pheasant over points i assume... this means that the bird gets up pretty damn close, like at your feet... How come you need a 12 ga to shoot a bird getting up at your feet?:confused:

5. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

SCTC,

Some nice pictures and some good looking pointers. I had a friend ( ex friend ) who I have hunted with that has 3 English Pointers , two liver ,and one black. Great dogs ... I am just partial to flushers

I am not going anywhere near this 28 debate .... I just recently got a 16 ga. O/U for all of my upland hunting.

Thanks 3 1/2 Steel. This is my first English pointer. I've always had GSP's since the areas I hunt it is very common to drop pheasants in the water. The English pointer is not a reliable retriever in the water, but all of my GSP's have been great water retrievers. My English pointer came out of my Dad's kennel in Missouri. Nothing like a free dog that can perform and my dad and I get the joy of knowing he has a good home where he gets to hunt a lot. A 16gauge is a great all around gun and will definitely get the job done on pheasants. If you make it out West, let us know where you end up going and how you do. I wouldn't think WA state would be on your dream hunt list, but there are a surprising number of birds here in the right places.

D3, I would guess that roughly 50% of the roosters that I shoot are over points. That leaves a lot of birds that aren't pointed. I lost 7 cripples this year out of the 120. Not a bad percentage, but 7 more than I like. I would hate to think how many it would have been with a 28. I shoot a 12 because I don't want to be constricted to a certain range and I'm confident that the gun will get the job done in all situations.

6. D3Smartie

so you are saying that your dogs only get the job done half the time? some kind of pointer.

something other i was wondering about... we have that 107 day season. you hunted 35 or so days which does add up with the 15 or so weekends we get during the season, but where did you find the time to do all this great duck hunting you were getting butt hurt about earlier this year?

7. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

D3, I'm getting really concerned about all this attention you are showing towards me. It's starting to get a little unhealthy. You did read that I was married, didn't you?

I can tell you how this pheasant hunting works, but I don't know if there is enough time to explain it all to a guy who hunts them as little as you do and expect you to catch on. Have you ever hunted over pointers on wild pheasants? If so, you might have noticed that pheasants have a real desire to run first and fly second. The last thing a rooster wants to do after a week or two into the season is sit tight for a dog. Sometimes, they hold for a dog and sometimes they don't. Sometimes, they flush wild from the slightest pressure and if they are in range and my dog hasn't bumped them, I will shoot them. Some days all of my birds are shot over points and other days, none of them are shot over points. Not the dog's fault - it's the nature of the birds. In fact, the dogs I have now pin a higher percentage of birds down than most dogs I have ever hunted over. This is probably a waste of time once again as you will probably say something hair-brained and rude when you probably don't even qualify to have enough experience to comment on pointing dogs in the field.

Nice of you to run the numbers check on me. I'm glad I passed your test. I must be getting pretty good at this lying stuff! Since you are so concerned, I'll oblige. Remember pheasant season ended January 16th and duck season went until the 29th? I took some mornings off on Wednesday's to hunt ducks along with those weekends in January. I also hunted the week of Christmas through New Year's when we were pounding the ducks in the corn fields. One morning during that week, we limited on ducks so early that I got to go out in the afternoon and a friend and I shot a limit of roosters as well. A day to remember for sure.

If you have something constructive to discuss from now on, I'll be happy to talk about it. But if you want to continue in the manner you have in the last several posts, I won't be interested in an exchange. It's not acceptable to insinuate that somebody's dogs suck. You're getting disrespectful again and I know, it's the internet so you can say what you want and I'm not suppose to get mad about it. I just wouldn't advise doing it to somebody in person.

8. D3Smartie

oh yeah its very hard, well i guess for you maybe, to figure out how many weekends there are in a season. simple math.:rolleyes:
    And all i can say is "that poor woman"

I dont quite remember the date, but I belive it was around dec 18 or so that you initially started to cry :cry because i said "if you cant find ducks in TCs you arent looking hard enough" hmmm This would mean that you were hunting ducks then, OR as it now seems a pattern has developed, where you think you are the all knowing master hunter of ducks and pheasant, and run your mouth when you dont know what is going on. See i hunted TCs everyday that previous week and had done well. I just sort of knew what was going on and your bad luck, that you happened to try to impress someone and got stuffed. Just seems to be the pattern i see, you lying about your exploits to try to prove a point when you have no knowledge of what is going on. try getting a clue next time before you deside to open your trap.

Oh and one more thing... the mcnary surise report.... for lets say 1/21.... I had the #3 pick and shot 21 ducks. HA get a clue.:tu

9. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

Once again, you've stooped to a low level with your comments. I'm plenty confident in my abilities as a hunter, but I'm not on here to impress anyone. You, however, seem to have a childish need to do so.

Guys like you can make this site a real downer at times, but fortunately you are the exception to most.

10. D3Smartie

then please tell me why you feel the need to try to impress people with your knowledge of the 28ga, though you dont shoot one, or your knowledge of the duck hunting, though you only hunted ducks on a very limited basis.
    trying to impress a bunch of people on the internet is pretty pathetic.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.