Who's watching the Westminster dog show tonight?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by J.SCOTT, Feb 12, 2018.

1. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Just a reminder.

2. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

Not me.
    I used to be involved in dog shows. But more politics then a budget deal in congress.
    The fact that a lab has never won says something.

3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

B O R I N G
    The only decent dog I've ever seen win was a number of years ago when a GSP (that actually hunted) won.

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Wife and I watched last night. Wanted to see the herding dogs.

Westminster is educational in the stories they tell about breeds. Learning that a dog you thought was merely a fluffy little ankle-biter was actually bred for a purpose hundreds of years ago is interesting to me.

Two years ago a GSP won. Last year a spectacular German Shepherd, who had come in second for best of show to the GSP the year before, took the top prize. Those were beautiful dogs.

The cool thing about having Westminster on the DVR is that you don't have to watch the breeds you don't want to.

5. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

A beagle won a couple years ago. I have a beagle, always loved them....other than being smelly, makes a great companion.:)

6. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I too have one. And yes he smells. Also-he's real loud, eats anything that isn't nailed down (including poop), he's a Houdini too. But I'll get another one when he passes.

7. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

I see by your avatar that you let the coons have their way with your beagle.
    Mine has killed 26 possums in our back yard, while connected to his runner. He lets them enter his pen to get to his food, and then its game over!
    Several snakes have met there demise as well, while one copperhead got the better of him, he too died by the blade of my bush axe.

8. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I sell beagle coon hybrids to city folk as expensive designer breeds. That's how I became so indepentently wealthy.

Mine doesn't kill much anymore (he is 14) but every once in a while he gets a rabbit. I have a fenced back yard and sometimes they get in, get frazzled from being jumped and chased and forget the way they came in.

tcc and burgawboy like this.
  9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

The dog show holds no appeal to me... Seems to me those dogs in many cases are as close to cats as you can get.

I have enjoyed watching some of the lab field trials and upland field trials, but admittedly the most interesting dog-related shows/trials I have watched are the sheep herding trials... Those dogs are amazing and interesting to watch.

It seems to me that in watching (on TV) the hunting dog trials (upland or retriever) that it is tough to see/hear the subtleties that come in to play, but the sheep herding trials, even for someone who knows nothing, the skill and ability of those dogs is obvious.

tcc likes this.
  10. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Well, I'll be holding up the fuge compulsory viewing again tonight. So don't y'all worry about it .
    I do enjoy seeing the strange breeds, but it is February and what else am I going to do. Watch paint dry?:p