Whose read LOTR triogly?

Discussion in 'Book Forum' started by Gooski, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Gooski

Gooski Senior Refuge Member

Lord of the Rings

Was thinking of reading this series. How do they stack up against the movies?
    Read the Hobbit, The Similarian, and finishing up the Children of Hurin. Thought all of these were good. The Similarian was a little tough to get though.

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Read them all, including some biographies of Tolkien. He was really more of a language expert than fiction writer, but he found that storytelling was the best way to bring a language to full fruition.

Silmarillion is clearly the hardest to get through (it was written first, and really serves as a foundation).

The Hobbit and the LOR Trilogy were written later and flesh out more "current" (3rd age) details.

Peter Jackson has done a better job than anyone in taking a complex and confounded (the statistical term, each factor having an effect tied up with other factors) series of books and keeping the richness and depth while staying true to the story. Personally, I am anxiously looking forward to the Hobbit Movie next week.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have read them, but decades ago. Obviously, I only remember the high points, not the minutia.

IMO, the films were well done, and didn't leave a lot of details out that were necessary for the story to be understood.

4. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

I've read them more than once. If you have a bit of a bent sense of humor get a copy of the parody "Bored of the Rings". A very funny, enjoyable read.

5. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

Read them all a bunch of times. I re read each one before each installment of the movie came out so I would remember al the little details that the movie missed.
    I was kind of peeved when they left out the section with Tom Bombadil and Goldberry out of the movie