Why can't they survive?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by GUNNERX2, Jun 13, 2018.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I was sitting in a new burger joint the other night with my wife and stepdaughter and for a period of time, we were the only patrons in the place. It might have had something to do with the prices (3 burgers, 3 soft drinks, 1 french fry & 1 onion ring...$40.00) but then I got to thinking about how many different restaurants had been in that location (strip mall setting in a very small town). In the last 10 years, either 7 or 8 have tried to make a go of it but all failed. There are 2 successful restaurants and a take out pizza place there as well. Just down the road is a stand alone building that has about the same track record with new restaurants. The last of which just closed their doors after being open only 3 months.
    Are some locations just doomed? Poor research and a worse business plan? Are restaurants easy start ups and easier close downs?

2. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

The initial failure rate on restaurants is exceptionally high. One of the worst of all startups. Lots of reasons for failure. Bad food, bad service, bad location, bad management, lack of capital. Everyone thinks they can do it but you need to do them all well to survive.

J.Bennett, seiowa and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Restaurants often fail from poor management; much more often than from bad food.
    There are a few places around here that for whatever reason seem doomed too; seems no matter what goes there it winds up failing even. Even though the location seems ideal there's apparently something about it that's bad for business.

WHUP ! Hen and The_Duck_Master like this.
  4. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

And exceptional food can make up for a lot of failings in other areas but exceptional food is rare. Bad management can be poor employee management or it can be poor capital planning. Many start up without enough spare capital to really make a go of it and are hamstrung from the get go.

riverrat47 likes this.
  5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Exceptional food can help for a while, but if you can't manage your food inventory it'll get you eventually. Ordering too much or too little is a fast way to go under.

JP and The_Duck_Master like this.
  6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

A couple bought a small "cafe" in a small town. He was a trained chef, she was a baker.
    Their food was too good for the small town. Even those with money were too cheap to eat at the place.Food was slightly and I mean slightly higher than the previous owners and the food much tastier. They eventually sold out, stayed in the small town but drove 90 minutes each way each day to do what they were so good at.
    A local fast food small franchise place went under, the owner manager did a poor job of training his workers.
    My home town, the obnoxious gay lesbian group chased the rest of the folks away.
    Oh, years ago Sambos,.. the local press made an issue of the name and logo,.. they went down fast.

7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I waited tables for a few years during college in the 70s at THE high-volume, where it was at place in Memphis, TN. During a professional career as a traveling salesman over 32 years (before retiring last year) I have eaten thousands of meals at restaurants of all types.

IMO, the biggest turn-off at a restaurant with reasonable quality food is poor service. If you are my server, I do not want to see you bs'ing with your co-workers while I need something and am waiting (often too long) for you to cruise back through your station. And when I ask you for something and you say "no problem", I am thinking and sometimes overtly telling you out loud that it shouldn't be a problem because it is YOUR JOB. Next on my list after poor service is a restaurant that over-charges for unimaginative, poorly presented food.

If you are a restaurant with either of the above, even if you are the only game in a small town, I am going to give you a couple of chances at most and then I will not be back.

riverrat47 and Fowler267 like this.
  8. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

Trying to answer the OP question, it does seem that certain locations are just doomed. Bad location, high rent/mortgage, who knows. But we have all seen this.
    Price creep is another thing that kills them. Awhile back a very good basque restaurant near me just kept raising up the price. It finally drove away the locals. As my wife says our pay isn't going up.
    I think we tend to have an amount of money in our head that we think the food is worth.
    I can't stand over priced breakfast.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

The overhead is sky high. I think @bullpinnie is in the bidness, I’d bet he has some thoughts.

10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

The Mexican restaurants usually do well because they have Mexican help and they hustle!

A new place only gets a time or two if they are lucky to impress you otherwise you don't come back....

waterrat likes this.