Why can't they survive?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by GUNNERX2, Jun 13, 2018.

1. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

renoduckman, back in the 90s I used to eat at a Basque place on the outskirts of downtown Reno. Had been there forever. Is this the place you are talking about?

2. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

No im talking about a different place. I think the place your talking about is still open.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

That right there could have a lot to do with it along with bad management and/or location. These days you'd be better off burning the money on your front lawn than starting up a place that serves burgers.
    The town I live in is four miles wide and four miles long, basically a larger small town, there's just about any type of fast food, chain restaurant and specialty restaurant you would want here and a ton of competition with that many eating establishments.
    For some reason there was at one time three McDonalds in different places here, competition for the limited amount of patrons was so fierce one of the McDonalds actually closed up, which is a rarity these days.
    Supply and demand, to much supply and not enough demand is not a good thing.

4. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

Of course you must have good food and good customer service, but because profit margins can be razor thin in the restaurant business your waste management skills have to be near perfect. Every grain of salt, every paper napkin cost something.

tcc likes this.
  5. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Getting beyond location/demographics......It's because they don't do the little things right. Consistent (even if average) food product, hire wait staff that is happy to be there serving people, nice/clean atmosphere, employees stealing/give away too much food/bev, clean silverware/glasses.......

tcc likes this.
  6. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

No one has mentioned marketing. Promoting a business is critical to success. Good food, good service and good management are vital, too, but lots of business owners don't have a clue how to market themselves. You can't just open a business and expect people to show up.

letmwurk, bullpinnie and tcc like this.
  7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yup. You really only need decent food to have a successful restaurant if you get all the other parts right(unless you're marketing as higher end food of course).

8. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

If a place can attract the blue hairs and farmers, chances are they got it together.

riverrat47 likes this.
  9. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Most have no business plan or one with overly optimistic assumptions. When you look at the regulation they have to comply with, thin margins, finicky customers, competition it is no wonder few survive. Those that do don't get rich.

10. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

Service & management. Friend owned a steakhouse which did really well. Wife operated it w/him. One of them was there from open to close every hour of the day 16/7/364. No vacations for 5 years. He said knowing how much and when to order was crucial.
    I was also salesman on the road for 25 yrs. Tried to never eat at fast food joints. I demanded service if they wanted a tip. AND the first tip I gave and still give is "if I have to ask you to refill this coffee cup your tip goes down every time". I tip 20% but am demanding on the service !!!
    One of my regular stops was at a restaurant in Quincy, Il. Got to know one of the regular waitress as a friend (golfed w/her husband). She got paid 1/2 minimum wage BUT made $400 -$600 a week in tips !!! Service,service,service !!!!