Why didn't we seize those billions in payment for the U.S Embassy in Iran hostage attack?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Eight Americans died trying to rescue our countrymen.

2. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Umm... we did seize their assets.

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Then where did that $150 billion go? Or those pallets of cash flown in by the Swiss in the middle of the night?

4. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Considering the original situation in totality... ya thinking actions taken were unjustified?

5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Where is that $32 billion we seized post Embassy attack now?

6. hobbydog

It really surprises me (well maybe not) that intelligent people do not take the time to educate themselves beyond internet memes on a complex subject. Money has flowed both ways from the Claims Tribunal I am not sure exactly what actions you are referring to but I am assuming it is about returning the $400 million plus 30 years of interest that paid for military jets that were never delivered. My opinion....This should have been settled a long time ago. Timing of the deal was terrible. What if the claims tribunal awarded much more? What should we have done then? I don't have a strong opinion either way, just hate seeing intelligent people not able or willing to dig a little deeper than a Fox news story or their social media feed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_frozen_assets
    Iran's assets were first frozen by U.S. president Jimmy Carter in 1979, after revolutionaries overthrew the U.S.-allied Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi's administration and took American hostages. After the Iranian Revolution in 1979, the United States ended its economic and diplomatic ties with Iran, banned Iranian oil imports and froze approximately 11 billion 1980-US dollars of its assets.[6]

Many of the assets were then unfrozen in 1981 after the Algiers Accords were signed and the hostage crisis ended.[dubiousdiscuss] At the time of the 1979 revolution, the Pentagon re-sold some $400 million in Iranian military equipment already paid for by the deposed government, and the money was "placed in an escrow account".[1]

Much of the frozen cash includes Iran's income from selling a limited amount of oil prior to the lifting of the sanctions, when Iran could legally sell oil but could not transfer the money back to Iran, because doing so was illegal under U.S. sanctions.[2]

A longer version of the whole story.
    What was universally known as the Iran hostage crisis went on for more than a year, and finally ended with a bargain: In exchange for the release of 52 American diplomats and citizens, both sides agreed to resolve the question of money through international arbitration. The Iran-United States Claims Tribunal has trudged along for almost four decades now, and the money has flowed both ways. By 1983, Iran had returned $896 million to U.S. banks, which in turn had returned hundreds of millions in frozen funds to Iran. Today, private claims from the U.S. side have been resolved to the tune of $2.1 billion.

But still at issue as Obama began his second term was $400 million that Iran in the late 1970s had paid for U.S. fighter jets, while Tehran was still a U.S. ally. After it turned into an enemy in 1979, Washington was not about to deliver the jets. But, all these years later, Iran wanted its money back—and with interest.

All told, Tehran was asking The Hague arbitrators (comprising equal numbers of U.S., Iranian and neutral judges) for $10 billion. Fearing they might actually be awarded that much, or something like it, the Obama administration negotiated privately with Tehran, which agreed to settle for $1.7 billion. The $400 million stacked on pallets was the first installment.

7. hobbydog

See my other post Bear. I believe you said you taught history at one time or at least are a student of history. If you really want to know start here. RAN-UNITED STATES CLAIMS TRIBUNAL
    Your answer is in there. It is a very complicated answer as money has flowed both ways.

Here is another article. Where are Iran's billions in frozen assets, and how soon will it get them back? It is a bit dated but it does show the complexity of the asset locations and where they went to. More complicated than I care to dig into and try understand because it is mostly water under the dam and there are other things that interest me a whole lot more.

8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Who are you referring to?

9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

If you're not willing to defend your claims don't make them.

The "dated" article you referenced was authored Jan. 20, 2016.

10. hobbydog

Anyone who thinks we did not seize Iranian assets.