Why do I do this to myself?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Aquaman, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Aquaman

Aquaman Senior Refuge Member

Let me preface everything in this post by saying up until Tuesday I've never owned a dog. I know very little about breeds or trials or anything else. That being said I've just fell into a 16 week old lab pup that has a pretty good lineage of field champions behind her. Long story about how that I will save unless someone is dying to hear it. Her father is an English retriever out of a kennel in Kansas and her mother is an American out of A gun dog kennel in Memphis. I don't have the names of the kennels off hand but they seems like pretty well known kennels.
    I've got it in my head that the two of us are going to learn together how to train a waterfowl dog. She is extremely mild tempered and in three days has already learned to sit, lay and not jump. She is extremely enthusiastic about fetch and has no problem bringing it straight back and dropping it at my feet and sitting and waiting for me to throw it again.

Now the questions.... she is pretty timid. I don't know if it's that's she's still getting used to the place or what but she seems to scare easily. She was terrified of the mower when I cut the grass the other day. She also gets car sick very easy, which I've heard is a problem with American retrievers. She also seems to be afraid to get in the water. I've tried to get her really worked up and excited playing fetch and then throw the ball right on the edge of the water and she freezes as soon as she gets to the water? Is this normal for a pup that hasn't been introduced to the water yet? I want to make sure I don't push her. I've heard horror stories of people trying to push their dogs too hard with getting in the water or gun training and ruining them for life. I am trying my best to keep this as "fun" for her as I can. I've got some books and duck bumpers, and pigeon wings coming today so I'm going to read through that but does it sound like I'm doing anything wrong yet?
    Keep in mind I am very aware that I may not be able to do this, given my complete lack of experience. I'm OK with that. If I can't get her trained well enough to take in the boat with me I'm sure she'll make a great family pet anyway.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Save yourself a lot of headaches. Get Bill Hillman's "Training a retriever puppy" DVD. His program is very low pressure and would be tailor made for a pup like yours.

Banded1 likes this.
  3. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

<<She also gets car sick very easy, which I've heard is a problem with American retrievers.>>
    Stop listening to ignorant people that make huge inaccurate generalizations. Get Hillman and help from experienced people. Do not rush water or gunfire. If anything just walk in the water WITH her and let her think it's fun. She was probably not socialized properly. Baby steps.

4. Aquaman

Thanks guys!! Does anyone know where you can get a used copy of Hillman's DVD? I checked Amazon and EBay but didn't find anything. You think anyone on this forum would part with it if I put a post out there? I'll buy new if I have to but nothing wrong with a used DVD!

5. crackerd

crackerd Elite Refuge Member

...which is a hallmark of "English retrievers."

Like FLL said about the car sickness nonsense, believe none of what you hear and next to nothing of what you read about working retrievers unless it comes from people who actually work/train retrievers. There are a couple of good British Lab kennels in Kansas, true, but there's probably never been an "English" field champion except English pointers.

"English" as applied to Labs is a designation for show dog in 99.9 of 100 instances. That's not to say an English show Lab couldn't make a serviceable retriever, even a waterdog. Still, would be interesting to know the pedigree of your new pup if you can share.

MG

6. Aquaman

IMG_2677.JPG IMG_2678.JPG The breeder showed the pedigree to me but I forgot to get a copy. I'm waiting on mine to come in after I registered her with AKC. I think they'll send me 3 generations? I thought for sure there were some in the English labs pedigee but I could be getting it confused with the mother. He's the dad. He's a brute and hunts every day of the season. Also posted a picture of her.

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Have fun along the way. Follow a training program and should be on your way.

8. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I'm a first time trainer. I used Smartworks. Our training has exceeded all my expectations.

9. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

This is the most significant thing you wrote. Today is Friday. :h

Again.....today is Friday. :reader

She really doesn't even know you......yet. Everything she already knew is gone. Go for walks together.........avoid asking her to do things YOU want.
    Do what the pup needs......companionship with no expectations for awhile.

The following link might prove useful.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/soberetrdvdw.html

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  10. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

<<The breeder showed the pedigree to me but I forgot to get a copy. I'm waiting on mine to come in after I registered her with AKC. I think they'll send me 3 generations?+>>

Most legit breeders give you a copy with a pup. Ask him for a copy. AKC will not automatically send you a pedigree and it won't have any titles on it.