Why do I do this to myself?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Aquaman, Jul 28, 2017.

1. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

If the pedigree has American AKC field titles, you can get the pedigree of the parents for free online from Retriever Results. https://retrieverresults.com/Profile/Search. Use the registered names found on the registration papers.

I agree with FLL that she likely has not been properly socialized. Get her out to a lot of new situations with associated noises, people and other dogs.

2. Aquaman

Aquaman Senior Refuge Member

I'll call him today and have him send me a copy. It was kind of hecktick when I picked her up because my wife and 16month old had to come!

I had already ordered a kit that came with a book by Tom Dokken. I'm know some of you have recommended the Smartworks one but I already bought the Dokken system before this and I don't have another $129 to spend.
    The book seems easy to follow. I worked with her quite a bit this weekend. Got her to swim after some convincing, got the basic sit, come, and lay down with treats. I also introduced feathers to her for the first time. She went nuts! The instinct in these dogs amazes me! She was a little hesitant to bring it back at first but with a little work she got it. I put it on a pole and let her chase it for a while and she never did loose interest. I'm going to continue to work her comfort level in the water. I had to put her in a boat and paddle her around the lake. Once she seemed completely comfortable I put her on the bank and paddled just off shore. After a while she swam to me. She did it a couple times and I decided to end the training for the day so as not to pressure her too much.
    She seems to have accepted me as her owner and LOVES spending time with me. I think our relationship is growing pretty well! With any luck I'll be past treat training and onto leash training in a couple weeks! I'll keep posting the progress here as long as anyone wants to read! I know I'm a little long winded but this is all pretty exciting for me :grvn

3. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Calm, patient, consistent and follow a program.

4. Aquaman

She's doing great. Nuts about the water, loves retrieving anything I throw or pretend to throw, and OB training is coming along nicely. We're on the collar now and working on heel and stay. She is able to heel while I'm moving but I'm still working on getting her to heel to the correct side when I'm standing still. We'll get there. Briefly introduced her to a gun last night. Didn't have 22blanks but I have a black powder pistol that takes #10 brass primers. Just used the caps and they made a nice little crack. Started out with gun fire about 100 yards away and she didn't even notice it. Got into about 35 yards and after a couple fun bumpers she didn't pay any attention to it. Those caps are decently loud, about like a fire cracker, but not as loud as a 22 so thats the next step. She's 19 weeks this week so I'll wait another 4 weeks or so until I start with a shotgun. I'll do it the same way. Start out about 125 yards and just throwing fun bumpers. Have my helper fire the shot as soon as I release the bumper so she start associating the shot with the retrieve. It's been fun so far. Figured out their not much different than people, they have good days and bad days.

5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Why would you do that ?
    One of the fundamental building blocks is TRUST !

6. duck dawg

duck dawg Refuge Member

Sounds like you're on the right track. Take is slow and enjoy the ride. They grow up quick.

7. Aquaman

Slowly introducing her to gun fire. Probably going slower than needed be. She has never seemed the least bit afraid of gun fire. First couple times with a cap gun she looked but as soon as she noticed the bumber she was 100% focused on that. Now she gets super excited when she hears that 22 crack.
    One main question is how do you get a dog more comfortable around running motors? She's not scared of gun shots but she's terrified of mowers and four wheelers and even cars for the most part? Been trying to ride her around in the truck and talk to her and pet her while giving treats every now and then so she starts to think the truck is a fun place but she doesn't seem to be coming around. She's still getting car sick as well but not near as often or as quick as before. This likely has something to do with the distain for riding in the truck but how do I get her over the fear of running motors? AKA boat motors!?

8. BD7000

BD7000 Senior Refuge Member

I think the car sickness will go away in time. My pup would get sea sick on the boat eventually she stopped getting sick. Best of luck and it seams that you are on the right track

9. Aquaman

Forgot to mention I had to take her to the vet last night... she stopped eating the normal amount on Friday and probably only had 2 cups of food all weekend. Doc said she looks OK and probably just got into something she shouldn't have. They gave me some
    Medicine to give her to fix the nausea and hopefully get her to start eating again. Also an antibiotic and dewormer. No sign of worms on the stoll sample but since she's outside all day they went ahead and gave it to her. She still didn't eat much last night and it's a chore trying to get her to take the Medicine. Hopefully she starts to improve in the next couple days.