Why Does Free Roam Get A Bad Rap?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Phil N, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Phil N

Phil N Elite Refuge Member

Some of the responses on the the public vs. private thread got me wondering why so many frown on free roam. It appears most peoples problem with it is competition from other hunters. The answer is easy for that... move! If you don't want to hunt around other people, don't; all of the refuges have this option available to you!
    So honestly what is the real issue?

2. Hoser41

Hoser41 Elite Refuge Member

Move. Why should I move. I was there an hour earlier and then you moved in on me. You're shorting my swing and flaring my birds. And you say I should move. That's why I don't like hunting free roam. No rules are in place to protect you from those a-holes.

3. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

WHAT:doh Tell me again I've been sitting in water for a hour and a half flashlighted off a few 5mins AFTER EST some hunters come in the pond one is 50yrds on my down wind side another moved 75yrds upwind and another came up to me and said hay this is our pond your in my spot we are taking over. So I should pick up my 4doz decoys put them back on my cart and go find another spot after the fuge had filled up. Hummmm sounds about right I see no real issue::doh One more Bushmills then I'm going to bed.:dv:dv
    Dam were did I put it::scratch

4. Bowed-Up

Bowed-Up Elite Refuge Member

You answered your own question.
    Jeff

5. snipe a duck

snipe a duck Elite Refuge Member

Exactly right the only thing that would get me moving off a spot i was at first is not wanting to be too close to an a hole with a shotgun that has no concern about being so close to me. No duck is worth being shot at because of some idiot out there.

6. Phil N

And we all have a "story" or two like that one. You know what I did quit going back to areas frequented by those that exhibit that sort of behavior.

So we are to understand that the majority of free foam experiences are similar to what you've described? Given this logic one can expect this sort of behavior wherever and whenever they choose to go to free roam? I beg to differ! So again what is the REAL ISSUE?

7. RefugeRat

RefugeRat Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

In your post it is unclear who should move...

8. SJA

SJA Senior Refuge Member

I don't think it's "one" issue but rather a combination of several. If the system works for you then fantastic...... for some the combination of "issues" outweigh the fun of being out in that situation.

9. Phil N

The question isn't whether or not who should move but, rather what is actually going on, what is the REAL issue?

10. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

No, the majority of free roam experiences are not like that, but why would you wake up 4 hours before sunrise and haul a bunch of decoys through mud and tules knowing that there is a chance something like that could happen when there are other options available to you (such as spaced blinds or a club)?