Why Does Free Roam Get A Bad Rap?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Phil N, Oct 16, 2011.

1. WATERDOGS

WATERDOGS Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Free roam Elk, Deer and now ducks.:yes I think our season is open even later this year since we opened on the 15. I quit thinking about limits about ten years ago when I realized I could limit every day of the season if I really wanted to. I guess I do not get that excited anymore I remember when I use to go to a few places and be the only shooting around. I alway thought my calender was screwed up and I was hunting the split or something. It is what it is sadd but true. I like hunting to get away from people that is why I hunt and live where I do. My theory is if you don't like something do something to change it.

2. Seven

Seven Elite Refuge Member

Oh if only most people quite their complaining and followed your advice :p

3. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

4. WATERDOGS

WATERDOGS Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Oh I get excited about Duck hunting just not about shooting ever bird that flys or getting a limit is secondary now. I guess I am in that stage of my life where I like taking kids old people or folks that do not get to shoot them in the face like that. I get enjoyment out of watching them enjoy it and sharing my passion extends far past the killing of the birds. Ducks are still the one game I cannot sleep before the opening day.

5. RefugeRat

RefugeRat Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

That's huge. The resi odds stats will be through the roof next year. Anybody have any idea how this money will be managed? Does it go back to the refuges, or does the general fund get a crack at it too?

6. RefugeRat

You make some good points, and is a good platform for sharing some comments.

Money is an issue no doubt at all levels. I guess the question is are we collectively as a group going to take what might be considered the easy way out. The group will ultimately decide.

But what is next? Section off grids in the public lands of the mountains, install chainlink fences, add a feeder, toss in a few deer into each grid, have a draw for the grids, and call it good?

Your point about the troublemakers is valid too, but I wanted to clarify that most of the regular troublemakers are indeed the regular refuge guys, but there are many more considerate rats on the refuges. Makes sense the troublemakers have become more aggressive too since their behavior on Federal or State lands has gone unchecked. Would be amusing to see how these same troublemakers would behave inside any Federal, State, County, or City building. They wouldn't be belligerent because they know it wouldn't be tolerated.

7. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

Goes into the general fund.

8. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

This statement says it all. Stop tolerating the crowders and they will disappear.

9. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

Alright got yeah::tu I've left the blind twice last year with 20 birds and one to go for a three man limit at 10am. The birds had stop we could have hung out for another couple hr's and finished but why???? I get home earlier clean my birds and get points from the better half::tu My oldest grandson will be hunting next year can't wait then the next 5 hope I live long enough to bore the he!! out of them about the old days. And give them a lot of love for the outdoors and the right way to hunt ducks.:tu

10. RefugeRat

It is some of the negative experiences in the field that I and many others have observed and shared that motivated us to do something about it. We opted to take the next step.

Our solution to the "mouthbreathers" is simple. We have always encouraged a minimum of 250 yards between hunting parties, and will continue to do so. The majority in FR suggests 200 yards, followed by 300 yards. In any case, increased distance minimizes the friction of poor field behavior, and has other benefits.

Our additional motivation centers arounds the birds and their natural decoying behavior. Waterfowl are unique in that they will decoy, as compared to pheasant, quail, etc...

To imply we have excluded any type of hunting is ridiculous. Our focus is about waterfowl hunting on public lands due to the reasons shared above. Plain and simple.

Our intentions are pure. We have shared early on with many of the groups you speak of and with others outside of the State our underlying motivation which is to help make duck and goose hunting on public lands a great experience for all. We encourage the development of skill sets and the improvement of skill sets in a positive manner, as well as increasing the awareness of constructive behavior while hunting in the field.

We make donations when we can, even sometimes when we shouldn't have done so due to budget constraints, but we have shared that we hope to be able to contribute on a larger scale in the future.

Our theme resonates with others. Many of the issues being discussed in this thread are universal, and similar challenges exist outside of California. What we have also discovered during this process is that we continue to attract public waterfowl hunters with refined skill sets, or waterfowl hunters that want to improve their skill sets from across North America, and many of them are right here in California. We feel fortunate to continue to meet great folks that love the sport, and strive to perfect their game.

As for the RatGuide itself, it's a solid document, though as opening weekend is tomorrow it does remind us of a section that needs to be added. Post hunting etiquette. Basically after waiting for an eternity to get onto the refuge last year on opening day, upon arrival there were no hunters in the parking lot. As I was getting my gear together, I heard a loud thump a couple of trucks over. Long story short, the hunter had opted to take a three hour nap in his camper in the parking lot on opening day before he drove home. So if suggesting that hunters should check out of the refuge before taking a three hour nap has no meat, then yes I agree with you, our suggestions have no meat, and it is purely an infomercial as you state.

Thank you for clarifying the origins of the word "corking." Had never heard of it as you stated until it was shared by you. I had also never heard of the word "stomping" before until a few years ago either, but since it is not a behavior we practice, it never crossed our minds either.

Two observations. You have yet to answer the questions originally asked of you, and you continue to misdirect the discussion.

Upon further thought, this discussion is very similar to the slippery dialogues one might encounter with another hunter that has questionable motives while in the field. There is a point when you realize that a reasonable discussion is futile, and I think we have reached that point.

Oh, and since you are so insistent on my age for some odd reason, send me your fax number so I can transmit a copy of my Drivers License to you to put your mind at ease. You want a birth certificate with it too?