Why does it have to be a political solution

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

You guys who want the sea lions gone nearly got your wish. Today's California Sea Lion colonies are directly descended from a colony of less that 12 sea lions in the 40s. That was all that was left. They had been hunted and killed for science to the point of near extinction. I'm sure there are a few of you that would like to go back in time and kill those 12, but I am a fan of marine mammals. Sea lions have been eating the salmon since before any of us were around. The problem with low salmon numbers is not sea lions. It is destruction of breeding habitat. If the breeding habitat was the way it was in the early 1900s, when sea lions were even then eating lots and lots of salmon, there would be no issue, because there would be hundreds of thousands more salmon. If not millions. There are plenty of sea lions in Alaska. They eat plenty of salmon. The difference is that state has not almost completely destroyed the breeding habitat of its salmon runs, so no one cares. There is plenty of salmon for everyone, and everything. If anyone here thinks killing sea lions will make any difference in the salmon population, then you severely misunderstand the balance of nature.

Dandy

ditchbanker likes this.
  2. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

There's more to the sea lion problem then just salmon dandy. They sink boats, docks, and are just an all around nuisance. Their protected status has led to overpopulation exacerbated by Sea World and the Monterey Aquarium who rehab the sick sea lions that should be dead. Let natural selection take its course, don't teach them that humans are a source of food only to repopulate and teach their young the same thing. The hippies have created a vicious cycle.

I don't wish all sea lions a double lunged death, a cull of the population would be nice. Alas, there's a very good chance that we will be at a place Sunday night that there will not be many sea lions in our chum line. But for that luxury we will have to feed the taxman a few ahi

callinfowl likes this.
  3. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Agreed on some points. I was a dressing the article that pointed to their effect on salmon in my post.

4. ditchbanker

ditchbanker Elite Refuge Member

We have mucked with the balance of nature and therefore are not merely accountable...but responsible to artificially (politically?) take action to restore a balance...unless of course we decide to ignore the imbalance we caused and allow nature to take it from there...risking extinctions for future generations...the Columbia river systems historically supported 10 million Salmonids annually...that number is more like 3 million today...still a lot of fish to be sure, but a mere shadow of what used to be not so long ago.

I choose to take actions that attempt to protect resources for my children.

5. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

So does that mean you approve of Sea Beaver shooting?

6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Nate.. while I due agree with some of your points... and this is from someone that spends ALOT of time on the water, both salt and fresh (bay/delta) Lions eat "tons" of salmon a year along with stripers and catfish. I have watched them belly eat many big fish, one after another and have even battled a few trying to take a line caught fish !

Should we kill em all...of course not, but they are smart and learn quick where the easy meals are. There numbers are getting crazy high, I think mostly because they have learned to stay out of whities hood, which is their only real problem out there..

I would like to try a little fried seal fat !!:nutz

ditchbanker likes this.
  7. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

kind of sounds like it.. but then it don't... not sure what DB is trying to say... I think he's saying to kill some for his kids future.. But just can't get the words out...:joker:joker

ditchbanker likes this.
  8. ditchbanker

ditchbanker Elite Refuge Member

Yes, when the mammals have been artificially concentrated and are shown to have an impact on other species ... such is the case at Bonneville Dam on the Columbia...not much empathy from me for inconveniencing yacht owners.

9. Green house

Green house Refuge Member

SeaWorld has taught the sealions to eat from man. They take sick or dying sealions and feed them sardines from a person. They release them and what do they do? Go to boats and take sardines. I heard by inoculating them they have removed there number one cause of mortality via parasites. Don't forget stink eye in mission bay who jumped on the boat grabbed s guys arm and pulled him overboard down to 30 feet before letting go. Was after his fish but grab the arm instead. Lost 5 big yellow to them last week at the Coronados. Hate hate hate them things.