Why Is It So Difficult to Hunt In Florida?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Floridaboy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

I am a FLA native and have hunted in one other state - Georgia.

Maybe I lack the proper perspective in regards to other states, perhaps some of you could enlighten me.

My issue is this: Why can't I hunt in the creeks of the St. Johns River that have no houses on them without worrying about trespass laws.

This is the way I understand the trespass laws:

It is a felonly to tresspass with a firearm.
    The property does not have to be posted.

There are also lots of islands here in North Florida, but you have to be a lawyer to determine if you can hunt on them. If they are not posted, I should be able to hunt them.

Another issue: If the state owns the land and it is a WMA then why can't I hunt the small game season until it ends(March) instead of the end of January?

Another issue: why do I have to get a deer hunting permit to hunt ducks in a WMA?

2. matthersjr

matthersjr Senior Refuge Member

California is worse; too many liberals. Kansas is the easiest place to hunt.

I believe that the property should be posted; otherwise it should be open to the public. For example if you don't want strangers coming into your house, put a lock on the door.

Poor management policies - no consistency.

Deer permit to hunt ducks on a wma? I'm I missing something; if the duck season is open, I hunt the wma as long as the season is concurrent with the wma open to hunting. :confused:

When can one wma permit cover the cost of all wmas - type I and type II? When is purchasing of permits going to be made easier?

3. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Deer hunting Permit??????:confused:

Fla doesn't have deer permits. There are Managment stamps to use the WMA for ALL hunting and there is a hunting license that you have to hunt in Fla. peroid. No deer permits though............

4. Floridaboy

Ok, I should have written QUOTA permit, but that is what they are for - Deer Hunting.

5. uncleD

uncleD Senior Refuge Member

Steve,

Go to the FWC's website and search for small game hunting. It states that Florida's water bodies are public and even speaks of lake beds.

I've ask FWC, Natl. Pks and city. They have told me that the salt marsh around Jax is open for the hunt. Exceptions are military fly space around Mayport and the Intracoastal adjacent to Mayport.

As for hunting w/ deer permit. Are you refering about archery, muzzleloading or the first nine days?

Having more WMAs open during the small game season would be good. Some now, like Buck Lake affords only 15 days when the whole season is several months.

Sounds like some letters need to be written.

Duke

6. Floridaboy

permits:
    If I want to duck hunt the interior ponds of Guana(as an example) I have to apply for a quota permit(supposed to be for deer hunting) in JUNE!

Then the small game season ends in Jan. I think Colin told me that they do this so they can do their work in their without worrying about getting shot. But they only allow hunting two days a week anyway, leaving them five to do their work.

As for the marshes, you and I have had this discussion and you can still run into trouble.

7. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Quota is to keep the area limited to certain number of hunters. They can take other animals besides Deer. (ex. Hogs, Ducks, Squirrels, Quail, Rabbit, Raccoon, Opossum, Coyote, Skunk, Beaver, Nutria and Armadillo)

Again..........it is to limit the number of hunters to increase the quality of the hunt. It is not a deer permit.

8. Floridaboy

That would be fine if you could get the permit in Dec, but you have to apply in JUNE!

9. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

What's wrong with applying in June?????:confused:

10. Floridaboy

How in the world can you plan your duck hunting trips in JUNE?

The ducks haven't even started thinking about migrating, the weather could be a factor in when they show up and if I am not mistaken you are limited to a certain number of permits. You can't just get one for all the open days.

Besides it takes away from deer hunter permits.