Why Is It So Difficult to Hunt In Florida?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Floridaboy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. MALLARD222

MALLARD222 Senior Refuge Member

If you want to play the game, you have to play by the rules.

I have no problems hunting in Florida. I have hunted on WMA's and a number of leases.

I always check the rules and apply for the permits that I want or need well before I go hunting. Sometimes I don't use them.

I have permits for this weekend at KICCO for turkey hunting. I won't be going. But, I did apply for them months ago.

MALLARD222

2. RutnNStrutn

RutnNStrutn Senior Refuge Member

The biggest problem with hunting in Florida is that public land hunting opportunities are not keeping pace with the population growth. There are many reasons for this, but most are one variation or another of a monetary factor.
    The end results of this are:
    1) Overcrowding and/or inaccessability on WMA's.
    2) Inflated prices, and very limited availability on private leases.

The state's population is booming. Public hunting opportunities aren't available for all those who desire them. In a poor attempt to compensate, many WMA's are opened up and overcrowded, leading to poor quality hunts. Instead of doing everything possible to alleviate this situation, the state is instead using new lands for special opportunity hunts, or worse opening lands to equestrians but not hunters. There is a serious misuse of public land. If you are wealthy enough to own horses (its not a cheap hobby), then you have opportunities the average Joe doesn't have. For the state to acquire land, lock it out to hunters, and open it to equestrians and "hikers" is a crime. The areas are too big for hikers to effectively utilize. So in essence, the state is providing exclusive riding clubs to equestrians with our tax dollars. Private land owners that are left are either selling to developers or pulling out of the WMA system to get more money from private leases. With a population the size of Florida's, there are enough well to do professionals and businessmen that land owners can charge outrageous prices, which once again locks out the average Joe. Its a vicious cycle.

3. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Most of all the quota's don't even fall in to regular waterfowl season. So to me it's not a big deal. Quota's deal with archery which usually starts in late Sept.(not waterfowl season), Muzzloader in Oct.(again, not waterfowl season) and General gun is usually only the first 9 days from the middle on November.(also doesn't concide with waterfowl season) Gereral gun my hit the very beginning sometimes. But it usually doesn't. Now some WMA's are a little different.

4. uncleD

uncleD Senior Refuge Member

Steve,

Relax dude, don't get your waders in a wad!

Hunting inside of Guana can be a problem when trying to hunt during Archery, because of permits. Early teal is open on the big marsh.

During muzzleloader, there isn't a duck season.

During general gun, there are only a couple of weekends open.

After that, Guana has about 4 or 5, three day weekends that allow small game hunting that run well into Jan.

I agree that not all WMAs are the same. Some are open after the first nine days of general gun and others have very restrictive hunts.

As I said, a letter campaign is necessary. But remember, more flys w/ honey :)

Duke

5. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

Seems like most think everything is just fine with the setup in Florida.

I cannot believe that you guys like being so regulated to go hunting.

6. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

During deer season I don't mind being regulated some. I also don't mind not getting shot cause there's 5000 people on one WMA. I usually get the quota I apply for and I'm not one of the quota hogs that put my Mom, sister, brother, uncle, aunt and cousins in to get one area. For the smaller areas it is tougher to get a permit cause of the number of hunters they allow. For the meduim and big areas I've never been turned down. I do like the quota system.............I don't like the Special Opp. Hunts.

7. uncleD

uncleD Senior Refuge Member

Steve it is not that regulations need to cease. Think about it, Guana, ( being site specific) couldn't not handle over 100 people on the big marsh and more than 2 days would run the birds out.

On the inside, the deer population can only take of few days.

Now, small game hunts are a different thing. The few wkends that are open to small game also allow hog til Jan 12 or so. Then there are a couple more wkends to hunt small game.

The day they terminate the hunts needs to be looked at.
    Run the small game hunts until the small game season is over.

That is where the attention needs to be focused. Request that all WMA extend their small game hunts.

Duke

8. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

Can we extend this discussion to outside of WMAs?

Outside of a zoned residential area...

Why do I have to go to the tax collectors office to determine if someone owns land rather than they putting up posted signs?

If it is not posted I should be able to hunt it.

9. Pirate91

Pirate91 Elite Refuge Member

That's usually why the signs go up. You go find out who owns and get permission. That helps us all.

10. RutnNStrutn

RutnNStrutn Senior Refuge Member

Pirate, I agree that the biggest reason places are posted and closed off is because of low-life, trespassing, no respect poachers.
    An additional effect is that it is virtually impossible anymore to do as you recommend. You can ask all you want, but it will be a cold day in hell before you get permission. There are too many others out there doing the same thing, due to the available hunting lands not keeping pace with population growth, and the land owners know what they have. They aren't giving permission to anyone but friends and family. Anyone else is going to pay a hefty price, especially here in Central Florida.