Why Is It So Difficult to Hunt In Florida?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Floridaboy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

I would only agree if you were asked to leave first and refused then you should be arrested, but not shot unless you are threatening the other person.

2. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

Everything is alwasy cut and dry with you isn't it Jeff?

When it comes to something as simple as trespassing or being some place you don't belong, YES.

So I will apply your logic.

If someone owns the land, THEY should post it or put up a fence, otherwise I should be able to hunt on it.

Lets see, to survey a (6000) six thousand acre piece in Florida is approx $11,000 dollars.

To fence said property is $2000.00 dollars a mile.

A section of property = (640) six hundred & forty acres.

If it's a perfect square your talking approx. $18,000 dollars.

Now most of the land owners aroound here are what you call "Land Poor".

They own it and can only keep it & maintain it if it's designated for agiracultural purposes.

Lets say $3.00 dollars and acre x 6000 acres = another $18,000 dollars a year in taxes.

Cattle prices suck due to NAFTA, citrus has canker, melons it seems everyone are growing now, so you tell me where the average land owner gets this kind of money each year.

It is called free access, if they can do this in the Dakotas why not in Florida?

16,396,515 million (Florida) people vs 634,448 people (North Dakota) vs 756,600 (South Dakota) (2000 US Census)

North Dakota 68,976 square miles
    Persons per square mile 9.3

South Dakota 75,885 sqaure miles
    Persons per square mile 9.9

Florida 53,927 square miles
    Persons per sqaure mile 296.4

You do the math:l

CJ

p.s. As far as the paper companies in N Florida, they are all high dollar hunting leases.

3. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

Looks like you already did the math. :)

I seem to remember that it was not long ago that the law was changed so the property did not have to be posted anymore, but if you were caught on it you could still be arrested for trespassing. Maybe back in the 80s.

Does anyone else remember this or was the law always like this.

4. go dev

go dev Guest

That is relatively new about the property not needing to be posted. I think the law used to be any property was huntable if it didnt have three strands of barbed wire and posted signs. It probably would have worked fine a few decades ago but times are a changin.

Arent the dakotas fairly wide open? Like you could see if you were hunting within 500 yards of a house? You can be 50 yards from a house in floirda and never see it.

That paper company land did used to be open to the public to hunt. But you were still expected to know where the paper land ended and when you got to someone eles property. One of the main reasons they closed it to the general public was to stop all of the dumping that was going on. You cant hardly go into the national forrest or even on the paper co. leases with out seeing old refridgerators and washing machines still.

5. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

Actually, St Joe Land Corp removed their properties from the WMA & closed them due to future development projects.

St Joe plans on building a mega Century City on the former WMA lands.

CJ

6. RutnNStrutn

RutnNStrutn Senior Refuge Member

Perhaps, but some of us don't have airboats or GoDevils, so that prevents us from using those lands. You are fortunate to have all that area, most of us do not have anything like that near where we live. Plus, some public land sucks and isn't even worth trying to hunt on. That is my point, the public land access is not keeping pace with population growth. That situation is exacerbated by restricting public land to tree hugger and equestrian use, which was the whole point of this thread.

Yes and no. You used to be able to get permission before trespassing A-hole scumbags ****ed off the land owners and ruined it. I know, it has happened to places I used to hunt. And yes, we all understand the finances of the leases, heck, I'd probably do the same thing if I had some land to lease. But again, that is the reason for this thread. The state needs to do a better job of opening land to hunting and stop locking us out when we are already short on places to go.

It is intentionally ambiguous to give the authorities the ability to address problem situations. Vague and ambiguous is done for a reason. I don't know the law exactly, but I do know this; posted signs are not the only indicator of private property. Cross a fence - it's trespassing, enter land off of a waterway - it's trespassing, and I believe if you enter land off of a public road, it's trespassing. Jeff is right, if you don't know, stay off. Find out first. FB, I live on 10 acres in a rural area. My property is posted, and partially fenced (will finish fencing this summer). My neighbors and I have problems with kids on 4 wheelers, as well as equestrians, who think that any land is land for their enjoyment. Before I moved out here, my neighbor had it out with poachers. That's BS! It's not their property, they don't have the right to use it. So yes, it is cut and dried, it's pretty obvious. And unfortunately, it is because people have no respect or self-control.

That would be nice, but I really don't see it happening here. Florida has way too many people, and those people have shown they have no respect for the land or the owner. Good luck getting a law passed that insulates owners from litigation. Not in this greedy state. Dude, everywhere you look, lawyers have ads, and they are on TV and radio too. They are just looking for any reason to sue, and advertise begging people to do it. No way, it won't happen in FLA.