Why is justice dept investigating the shooting

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by cahunter, Mar 22, 2012.

1. cahunter

cahunter Elite Refuge Member

In FLA, if the guy broke the law then charge him. It sucks that kid was killed but don't let the sharptons of the world turn this into another racist issue.

Let's not forget the shooter was latino. So when all trys to blames the white devil, it wasn't his fault.

I like the stand your ground laws, if someone is attacking you or you feel threatened you should be able to defend yourself. Even using deadly force. All the anti gun nuts will be out in force on this one.

2. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

The irony is that the stand your ground laws were enacted to protect someone like Trayvon from people like Zimmerman, not the other way around.

I do think the outcome would be different if Trayvon was a white kid named Jim though.....quotes from the actual calls certainly show a racial element to the situation on the part of Zimmerman.

3. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

All true. To get the most dramatic response, maybe Sharpton and Change.org should be trolling in a Hispanic neighborhood.

4. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

I've heard racism (apparently accurately), but nothing about white devil. Can a latino not be racist?

The best thing this family could do would be to publicly reject Sharpton's interference/activity. It would garner the case even more publicity and redirect focus where it should be, in addition to speaking for their character.

As for the justice dept involvement, when/if one needs to be charged and a PD doesn't do their job and/or is corrupt.......

I support self defense laws as well. Though I don't for certain what all happened here, I do know they are not applicable to instigating confrontation/aggression absent criminal activity by the other party.

5. Yuma Visitor

Yuma Visitor Senior Refuge Member

Sharpton is there with the rest of the people protesting that Zimmerman needs to be in Jail . Why turn this on Sharpton and be distracted a youth lost his life for no other reason then from what it appears to be racial profiling by the Captain of the Neighborhood Watch Program and previous calls by Zimmerman has shown a PATTERN IN REGARDS TO BLACK MALES . There definately was inaction by the PD for not taking Zimmerman into custudy pending further Investigation for shooting an unarmed youth no matter what race . Shoddy preliminary investigation showed he was interviewed by a Narcotics Investigator not anyone from Homicide no Drug testing and on and on . Tapes and other evidence showed that he followed this youth after being told not to and then confronted him this negates the self defense issue , a youth with a can of Ice Tea and a package of Skittles . Sharpton is not turning this into a racial issue the facts do .

6. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

yuma I am not defending what the person did, just pointing out that Fl has in place a law that is very likely the reason he has not been arrested. So with no right to arrest at the time, remember he claimed self defense and the other witness was dead. Tell me how they can demand a drug test or any other test?

Lots of people up in arms over this, and my gut is telling me it went bad and is likely to get worse for Zimmerman. But the fact remains that FL like other states have passed laws to prevent good people defending themselves from danger going bankrupt because the police arrested them before any investigation was done. Simply because of the discharge of the weapon in self defense!!

7. API

There's no doubt that Zimmerman's actions are troubling. That shouldn't hide the fact that media and some community advocates are grandstanding and promoting a frenzy rather than let the issue be decided in a court of law. In the overall scheme of things, the actions of the media, organizations like change.org and advocates like Sharpton are just as offensive as that which Zimmerman is accused. Lots of noise against Zimmerman (maybe earned); but why is the media, Change.org, and Sharpton getting a free pass when their stench is just as great?

...and thinking of "self defense laws". They were legislated according to the state constitutional process and implemented after much rumination and deliberation. To debate their merit only shows complete arrogance and disregard for their state constitutional basis. That's shameful.

8. cahunter

cahunter Elite Refuge Member

The boy lost his life and that really is sad. Why can't people let the law work, there is no reason for AL to throw one of his race riots and try to punish people. The chief said the officers had no right or reason to arrest him, he claimed self defense and there where no other witnesses. Now once they looked into the case if they found that the man provoked the confrontation and so he could shoot this boy, then yes arrest him.

As it was said earlier, FLA has this law in place so people can defend themselves, which is a good thing. Now Al is going to make this a race issue, then the anti gun left will jump in and talk all about how guns kill and should all be ban. Stick to the facts of the case, if the law was broken then Zimmerman will be arrested. If he didn't then he will walk. Now if that happens all and the rest of the race mob will riot and call for justice.

The fact is nobody knows what happend yet so we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Let's not forget how Al and jesse, the other moron, jumped into the duke La cross case for that poor black woman that was raped by the priviledged duke students.

9. Yuma Visitor

Yuma Visitor Senior Refuge Member

While he was detained better yet if he had been in custudy this could have done in regards to his testing . His clothes were not taken as evidence nor were photos and further the PD says they do not know where he is now . Talking about inept or is there another reason ?????? This makes for distrust by the community at large of the Agency that is suppose to handle law enforcement in thier city .

10. API

Well crap, why single out the local FL guys? We can say the same type things about Eric Holder and his cast of clowns only on a larger scale. :l