Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Why not more Deadlies

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, May 31, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

We have run several brands of socks and currently using around 700 deadlies and 200 rocks. Some of our deadlies are from Tracy's first year of official production, guessing around 2005. Now we only hunt snows about 7-10 days a year but these have held up great and we don't even have any rips in the bags etc. Once in a while we break a backbone or bend a stake. These have outlasted all our other socks and they handle the wind, rain, mud, and even being stacked bag on top of bag better than the others. So with this, why aren't more people running em. I know the weight can sometimes be an issue but all around they have lasted better and look better than the others.

Just an off season question....

2. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

I have some of Tracy's original blues from around to 2005. In fact I purchased them on Ebay as seconds bags only. They have outlasted all of my other blues which are mostly Silo Socks in regards to no change in the ink. It is very impressive to me that the ink on these blues is that rugged and ever lasting. Great work Tracy.

3. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I think the big "knock" on them is weight. That being said, I'm switching over my field duck spread to deadlies. It's a no brainer given the prices on mallards and pintails at a few various vendors right now.

4. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I think weight, storage and pricing is a deciding factor for a lot of people. Deadlies are bulky but do look great. When your faced with buying 500-1000 decoys pricing plays a big role into what brand you purchase.

5. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Call Brad at Deadly if your buying in bulk. He quoted me some awesome prices on 50 and 100 dozen.

6. marshmob

Reading your responses makes me wonder how do the guys running fb spreads even afford those things. Plus all your buddies would need a trailer to move em and barn to store em

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I like the portability of the white rocks. I use plastic tubs, and each tub can hold 10-12 dozen quite efficiently. Easy to set up and quick to pull down. I've got 5 to 10 dozen of 4 or 5 different brands, and they all have their own advantages and disadvantages. I just bought some tanglefree 48 packs because they were mispriced, so they are going to be another brand I'll use this year.

8. marshmob

I tried 8dz of the tanglefree to use around our blinds because they had long stakes. We found in higher winds they bounced and thrashed really bad even if we pushed them down. That also defeated why we bought them

9. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

There are many factors as to why! Personally, FBs will always decoy snows better especially in not so good hunting conditions. We don't hunt the spring in the Midwest any more but if we did we would probably use our socks more. We now run 50 doz foamers from the Decoy Factory in Nebraska, we have had such great success with them a few guides here in California are starting to run them.

Our socks have not been used in years

10. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

We run both, I personally don't own very many full body snows but people in our main hunting "group" do. 500 Avians fit into a 20' trailer with a ranger in it as well as a smorgish board of other equipment including socks if you organize it correctly. That number would be a little bit higher if they were the new Avery's, and if they were just tossed into the trailer instead of sled bagged that number would increase again. I personally own Sky Fly's so we can fit all those fulls in the trailer plus 4 totes of socks when we all hunt together, being as they aren't all full currently it would be around 70 dozen if they were packed to the max. This still leaves room for rotarys, callers, flyers, backboards etc. Organization is the key to fitting everything. If they had heads or didn't collapse the tote system wouldn't work, or there'd have to be a longer tote than I have found. Deadlies in bags wouldn't take up that much more room the quantity just wouldn't be as high. I tend to hunt alone a few times a Spring so it's nice being able to run as big of a spread as I want while still not having to pull a trailer if I didn't want too.

Do you guys run this setup as a permi? We've looked at the decoys before but weren't sure how well setting the H stakes would go, mainly if they'd fall out or rip other decoys apart if you stored them with the H stakes in the decoy. I love the look of their floaters.