Why such little convoys?

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by WidgeonmanGH, Mar 31, 2004.

1. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

I was reading the news this morning and see that some more US personel were killed in the Suni Triangle. What I am trying to figure out is why do these guys run around in there in one or two vehicle convoys? No Bradleys, just humers or SUV's. Talk about targets. Maybe I just don't get it but, that is hostile teritory and when they go in there so light it seems theat they are getting whacked and then there is no responce anytime soon. These fascists are thinking they are getting away with it. Then they drag the bodies around (these people are sick). Maybe we should just nuke Sadams home town as an example and get rid of the bad genes at the same time! A triangular parking lot to build the first arab walmart.

If you have an opinion, Why so light?

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Ask the Marine Commander who just took over the area, or refer to his TOE for assets he can use. My bet is that the Corps is very light on armored anything, as it always has been, and (just my opinion) is there doing a mission that it's not intended for...i.e. counterinsurgency suppression hundreds of miles from naval assets and support. There is still an ongoing learning curve for all the services in dealing with operational requirements vs. need for coordination and unit/branch interchangeability. A mech infantry Army unit and a Marine Light Armored unit or Infantry unit's capabilities, equipment, and numbers are vastly different. Does it mean they can't perform the role or do the job? Nope. They just have to do it differently, which involves it's own learning curve and the inherent risks to troops that go along with it. A sad fact of military action within our forces, that's all, IMHO.:(

3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

A friend of mine who is a Lieutenant in a light armored unit says the Marines jokingly refer to them as "lightly" armomored units.

As Almodux pointed out, they were designed for beinga able to travel light often for recon, not to be close in support against short range RPG's and improvised explosive devices (IED's). Those improvised devices are in some casses 155mm artilliary shells and 120mm mortar shells augmenteded by adding additional explosives and steel shrapnel. Very heavy duty damage on damn near anything short of and if lucky and placed right, including an M1 tank. These things are triggered from a distance by various methods including the use of cell phones.

Ironically we (the CIA) taught the Mujahadeen how to set these up to kill Russians in Afghanistan. We are being hit by our own taught tactics.