Why We Can't Hunt Geese In Parts of Florida

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Floridaboy, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

As you probably know, geese can only be shot in a restricted area of the state:

From the FFWCC 2001-2002 MIGRATORY GAME BIRD HUNTING SEASONS regs.

Limited Canada Goose Season
    • Season: November 17 -- January 25
    • Canada geese may be taken only in the Florida waters of Lake Seminole in Jackson County that are south of SR 2, north of the Jim Woodruff Dam and east of SR 271.
    • Shooting Hours: One-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
    • Bag Limit (daily/possession): 3/6 ยท Taking or attempting to take brant or geese (except as described above) is prohibited.

Limited Light Goose Season (north and west of the Suwannee River)
    (Light geese include snow geese - both blue and white phases - and Ross' geese.)
    • Season: November 17 -- January 15
    • Shooting Hours: One-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
    • Bag Limit (daily/possession): 15/none
    • Taking or attempting to take brant or geese (except as described above) is prohibited.

The whooping cranes territory does not include the huntalble part of the state. Frank Montalbano has told me and others directly that he is concerned that someone will shoot a crane and there will be a public outcry that he would rather prevent than jepordize hunting in Florida.

Apparently some hunters cannot distinguish between a crane and a goose.

Here is a whooping crane:

[​IMG]

And here is a snow goose:

[​IMG]

2. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

How can someone mistake a crane for a goose??:confused: :rolleyes:

3. Floridaboy

Frank said it has happened when he was a guide in Texas.

Only way I can see it happening is novice hunter in low light.

4. wildcat

wildcat Senior Refuge Member

You have to weigh the Pro's and the Con's of this situation...

In my opinion, Yes someone could mistake a crane for a goose. Think about some of the waterfowl hunters out there.

I have personally witnessed people shooting at seagulls, cormorants, etc...

The fact that someone would shoot a whooping crane and wiegh it in with the fact that there really isnt that many light geese that make it down our way and the bad things that can happen outweigh the good....

why chance having some yahoo make hunters look bad for the tiny chance that a light goose might makes its way into your dekes.....

Ive seen (1) one goose in my life here in florida and it was a Ross's goose at Merritt island

I just dont think its worth it.....

5. Floridaboy

What about Canada Geese?

Pretty distinctive difference there.

6. Kevin Hall

Kevin Hall Senior Refuge Member

One of the first things a new hunter shoud learn is target identification. If you don't know what it is ... DON'T pull the trigger !!!! That's exactly the reason we (experienced hunters) need to take some of the newbies "under our wing" and teach them the ethical way of hunting.

Now, that being said ... I really don't see how anyone could legitimately confuse a whooping crane and a snow goose, the profiles are totally different! :confused:

I've been talking to Mr. Montalbano about expanding the region where geese can be hunted. At least, he said that he would think about it. :cool:

It's some progress ... if you consider an "open mind" progress. ;) This is one of the issues that UW is working on, just don't expect anything to happen overnight ... it's a long term project.

7. MALLARD222

MALLARD222 Senior Refuge Member

If they were to open the whole state to goose hunting, have a bag limit of 10, and be able to hunt them ALL winter, I would still end the season with as many as I have in the last 8 years.

0 :D

I do not see any around to hunt.

8. wildcat

wildcat Senior Refuge Member

Exactly....

I think its a waste of our time, we could be focusing on more important things.....

The fact isnt whether or not myself or the rest of you can properly ID a goose from a crane, its the rest of the waterfowling community Im worried about.

Alot of guys sky bust at everything that looks like a duck..... then we go and tell them they can shoot light geese.. next thing you know they are sky busting at everything that even remotely looks like a goose.....

Also, going through all the trouble of opening the season for the whole state just in case that 1 in a 1000 chance that you get to harvest a snow goose....

I just dont think its worth it.....

9. Floridaboy

First, I think some are missing the point of the original post. I was merely explaining why we cannot hunt them. But it is a good debate on whether or not it should be pursued.

Second, whether or not someone can ID one is not the issue. Frank feels that the non-hunting public would be against us if a whooping crane is shot, not an egret or ibis or whatever.

Third, snow geese may not be abundant in FL but there are plenty of Canadas, at least up here. Whether or not they would fly into a spread is a different issue, they mostly hang around office buildings and golf courses. But it could provide an opportunity to target them and attract them to huntable areas.

I can just see a golf course closing down for a day to allow a hunt. We could hide in the sand bunkers and wear white like they do up north.:D

10. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Excellent Steve............let me know if they close down any courses:D I for one have never seen a goose from the blind. I've seen them while driving only once. So............the law in effect now doesn't bother me. I just cannot see how someone can mistake a goose for a crane. :rolleyes: But.........I did have hunter ask me what kind of duck he had shot at a WMA. It was a Green Wing Teal Drake. He had no clue how to ID ANY ducks!!!!!! He just shot whatever came into the blind!!!!!!! He got lucky and only killed four Teal. So.......I see why the law is there.