Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Wide Mouth Decoy Bags

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Pot Hole, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Pot Hole

Pot Hole Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

After 40 years of waterfowling, I am finally beginning to switch over to Texas rigged decoys. Naturally, my old mesh decoy bags aren't suited for removing and bagging Texas rigged decoys so I am looking for other options. I do have one Drake stand-up bag that works well for bagging Texas rigs and I am contemplating buying a couple more, but I figured some of you that have been using Texas rigs longer than I have would have some suggestions or could offer some critique on the wide-mouth bags on the market out there these days. I need a bag that stands up pretty well on its own, can hold a dozen or so standard decoys, and has good, solid shoulder straps. I've been looking online at the various bags that are offered, but I have no real-life experience with any of them.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I just clip them together about a dozen to a bunch and throw them in the boat. I'll wrap the clip end around the front Cross bar of the blind frame and clip it again to the lines. Done.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Most don't bag Texas Rigs. Someone was making a bag for TX Rigs. It was basically open at both ends. You put the carabineer end all the way through and let the bag drop around the decoys. After that you cinched up each end.

4. Pot Hole

That would work if all my hunting was done out of a boat, but unfortunately I've got a number of walk-in spots that will require me to tote 1-3 dozen decoys on me and my son's back hence the need for a wide-mouth, shoulder-carry bag.

5. bill cooksey

I've just clipped two sets of a dozen together and thrown them over my shoulder. Pretty easy to carry four dozen that way unless you are going through thick brush on dry ground. Once to water, I just drag them behind me. Hint, tie an overhand knot on each bunch as close to the decoys as possible. They won't jostle around as much.

coachcornbread likes this.
  6. DRC

DRC Elite Refuge Member

I would still just sling the decoys over my shoulder if u need to walk in.

If you have to use a bag with straps just leave the line out of the opening at the top. Any bag will work.

7. Pot Hole

Bill, I hear ya, but I just spent a week in ND doing just that and my decoys look pretty rough from all the beating together. Much of the paint damage is due to the new paint job I gave them over the summer, however, I'm hoping a bag will lessen future paint damage by eliminating all the banging together both when walking in and transportation to and from where I hunt.

I've seen a bag like that and the one I saw sells for $100. Now I'm far from a cheap skate, but before I pay $100 for a decoy bag, I'll just buy a couple more of the Drake stand-up bags and be done with it. :tu

Ringbill, ronaldo and kazz like this.
  8. bill cooksey

It would be easy enough to cut the bottom out of some cheap decoy bags and sew/rig them with a cord to cinch the bottom down.

Ringbill likes this.
  9. Pot Hole

You haven't seen my sewing skills. :doh

Does anyone have any experience with the Knutson bag listed at the top of this page?

10. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Heavy Hauler makes a wide mouth bag that is excellent, you can get them on rogers sporting goods for like $40 and it is well worth it. Perfect for Texas rigged decoys.

Ringbill likes this.