wigeon head mold for other species

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by sheboyganjohn, Sep 10, 2017.

1. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn Refuge Member

I have a wigeon head mold that I planned on using to make old squaw decoys. I ended up falling into a deal on over 4 dozen squaw decoys (free about as good of a deal you can get). So I plan on using the mold to make some wigeon but I am trying to figure out what other species it will work with. I think it may work for magnum teal. Any others you can think of? I will eventually find my decorative decoy design books and be able to compare them there, just want to know if anyone else is using it for something else.

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Wigeon have unique head/bill shapes that do not lend themselves well to other decoys...not if you are after anatomical correctness.
    The old squaw you mentioned is about the only one that is close.

Billy Bob likes this.
  3. sheboyganjohn

I was thinking that might be the case. Guess I will have to build a stock of wigeon decoys. At least I have a use for it.

4. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Funny you mention that. I just, this week, used a Autumn Wings wigeon to make a old squaw hen out of a Herter's 63.

5. sheboyganjohn

When I was looking for a mold I contacted the guy that makes them and he recommended the wigeon head to make squaw's. If you want to put a tail sprig on it, I have seen where people have used black zip ties. That was going to be my route before I got the windfall of squaw decoys.

I was trying to maximize the use of my head molds. I have the wigeon, a scoter, a couple of mallards and a canvasback. Good thing the mallard heads are rather versatile for making working decoys. I can get blue bills and red heads with them. Could probably get a half way decent pintail out of them too. The only species I would most likely make is a gadwall but I think the mallard head would not quite work, even for a working decoy.