Wild celery?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Feb 7, 2019.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

60 acres marsh. 2-3’ zone spots maybe 4’ water year round. Firm bottom. Typical marsh water. How hard is wild celery to plant? I know divers love it but what about puddle ducks? If not wild celery what would be the best bang for your buck to plant in this situation? I’m in Michigan.

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Sago pond plant is supposed to be the best. If it will grow I think Celery should also. A mix would be sweet.

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Sago is like crack to Widgeon and gadwall. Mallards not so much.

dtnok likes this.
  4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Friend of mine who hunts a pond that was to deep for anything else to grow and unable to draw down said they planted sago 3 years ago. it took but first season birds didn,t seem to find it. Last year and this past canvasbacks found it and they can,t keep them out. Now this pond is only about 1/2 mile off salt bay and there is another pond at about same distance that gets divers near it. Puddle ducks don,t seem to be useing it as theres other ponds on property better suited to them.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. Colin Shepherd

Colin Shepherd New Member

Would be really interested to learn how the Sago Pond Plant takes for those conditions - I am about 180 degree different, down here in Arizona, but I have a similar situation. Big, flooded "bayou" area that is constantly 6" - 4' deep of water. It has a soft bottom, almost mud like, and would love to get some opinions on what to plant? The water has a slight movement to it, but because it can reach 120 degrees I would need something that can tolerate it.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Mallards won't go after wild celery any more than they go after sago and sago is so much easier to establish.