Wild Game & Cheese Hybrid Enchilada's

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by All Day, Jun 13, 2008.

1. All Day

All Day Elite Refuge Member

This recipe is an all American dish. I only call it Enchiladas because of the sauce. It is awesome made with duck or goose meat, but any meat can be used. If you are counting calories, forget it! Just too many to count. You could make it low cal, but why? Please read the tips and options at the end of the recipe!
    Ingredients:
    1 lb game meat, ground, no fat. (see options)
    1 lb ground beef, 20% fat or less. (see tips)
    24 oz tomato paste.
    4 packs of Lowry’s Enchilada Sauce mix. (see options).
    2 to 3 tbsp ground chili powder
    1 tbsp ground cinnamon
    12 burrito size tortillas
    1 16oz tub of sour cream
    16 oz cream cheese, softened
    2lb shredded medium cheddar cheese
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    Directions:
    Boil 10 cups water in a 6 qt sauce pan on high. Add chili powder and cinnamon, stir in. Add tomato paste and whisk in until it returns to boil. Turn heat down to medium low. Add Lowry’s mix and continue whisking until well mixed. Turn heat down to simmer and cover. Whisk occasionally. (Skip this if you are using your own sauce or a different mix.)
    Fry beef on medium heat in a 14 inch fry pan until loose and just done. Drain fat from beef into a suitable container using a colander. Put beef back into fry pan then add game meat and half of the onion. Fry until game meat is done. Add one cup of the enchilada sauce to the meat and stir. Your looking for a sloppy joe consistency. Turn heat down to simmer and cover. While frying the meat, prepare a lasagna pan by by spraying it with spray pan coating. Then add 2 cups of the sauce and spread it out, coating the pan bottom with about an eighth inch coating.
    Remove Meat and sauce from heat and set on counter using cooling racks or towels to keep from burning counter. Line the bottom rack of your oven with foil to catch drippings and place a rack in the center position. Preheat it to 375 degrees during next steps.
    O/K, lets build these things!
    Your kitchen is smelling good, isn’t it?
    I use parchment paper right on the counter but you can use a large plate instead. You will need a large counter or table as all the ingredients will have to be close. Lay a tortilla down and butter it completely with about a tbsp and a half of cream cheese. All except the outer half inch. On top of that spread about a heaping tbsp of sour cream. Then spread 3 heaping tbsp of meat on HALF of the tortilla. Then spread a couple of tbsp of sauce on top of the meat. Sprinkle a small hand full of the shredded cheddar on the whole tortilla. About a quarter cup. I told you there would be a LOT of calories! Turn the tortilla so the meat side is toward you and roll it up not so tight as to squeeze the filling out. It should be about 2 to 2 ½ inches thick. Set it on one end of the lasagna pan with the seam down. Repeat until the pan is full or you start to run out of ingredients. You will have to squeeze them in as you go. You should be able to make at least ten enchiladas. Any ingredients left you can spread out over the top. Pour sauce over the top a cup at a time working it in between the enchiladas and down the ends. The pan will be pretty full. Place on the center rack of your oven and bake for 45 minutes. It should be bubbling and starting to get dark on the top. Cool for a half an hour then slice length wise down the center and cut out squares for serving. Don’t bother trying to take out each enchilada individually, it won’t work! Cover each serving with sauce, more cheddar and onion and enjoy!!

Options:
    Any game meat can be used. You can use two lbs of game meat and no beef if you want, But if duck or goose meat is used, I suggest you stick to the recipe.
    I like the Lowry’s mix because it tastes great and saves a lot of time. For more tomato taste simply add 6 more oz of tomato paste. Any enchilada sauce that you like can be used. Just make sure you make enough to do the recipe. About a quart and a half. Maybe more. Just don’t be shy with the chili powder. Hot sauce of your choice can be used for a spicy taste in the sauce or on the enchilada’s.
    Tips:
    Making ground beef into loose meat is easy. While frying, mush it down with a large spoon. Keep doing it occasionally as it fries. By the time the meat is cooked it will be loose with no “meatballs”. If you don’t have a grinder for your game meat, just slice it as thin as you can get it then chop. It will mix well with the ground beef.
    If you have any questions about this recipe, feel free to send me a pm or e-mail!

2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

This sounds awesome!

Will definitely be trying it. Thanks so very much:tu

3. All Day

All Day Elite Refuge Member

Let me know how you like it! After you make it you can adjust any of the ingredients to your taste. Every time I give this recipe out, they change it a bit, just keeps getting better!