Wild Hog - Recipes?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by pintailwizard, Nov 11, 2014.

1. pintailwizard

pintailwizard Elite Refuge Member

It's possible that I'll be able to sneak away from job duties this week for a couple of hours riding around a buddies deer camp looking for some hogs to ventilate.

If we are successful, what's the best options for cooking. Never fooled with them before so I'm guessing we'd want a midsized sow. Tenderloins? Shoulders to smoke?

2. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

I try to not shoot anything over a 100lbs anymore. I've tried smoking them, but wild hogs usually don't have a high enough fat content. I usually just drop them off at the processor and tell him to get me as many chops as they can and make sausage out of the rest. I prefer to target the piglets under 20lbs. Skin 'em, Gut 'em, knock off the hooves and head and through them in a roasting pan with some carrots, celery, onions, and mushrooms.

sent via wonkavision

3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

we usually grill or fry the tenderloins. smoke the shoulders and hams, or grind it up and mix with venison to make sausage, or make pure pork sausage. get some pork fat from your local butcher, mine charges 50 cent a pound for pork or beef fat. it is illegal in Alabama to take wild hogs to the processor. processors charge too damn much anyway

4. Ol' Red

Ol' Red Senior Refuge Member

You can smoke them, you just have to adjust your cooking time because they don't have the fat content domestic pigs do. I've laid thick cut bacon across the back to keep more moisture in and injecting them with a mixture of melted butter and Tony C's helps too. I've roasted them whole or in halves depending on the size in this - http://www.lacajachina.com/Barbeque-Grill-p/lcc-g100.htm.

I also get them cut into chops and sausage. Attached are some before and after pics.

Red

Attached Files:

5. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  6. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Just be careful when you skin/gut them. The boars have two bladders and you DO NOT want to poke any holes in them. And just like with deer, stay away from the musk glands. Either will make a mess of the meat.

I agree with the tip to stay at 100 lbs or lower. Above that you have to enjoy strong flavors, if you can call it that. :l

7. supercajun

supercajun Refuge Member

we skin and quarter them then leave on ice in ice chest with drain open for at least 5 days. meat is whiter and less gamy. ive also noticed head shot pigs have less of a musky smell to the meat than lung shot. someone told me this is because when they are wounded and run they release some hormone or something.

8. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Attached Files:

• hs2.jpg
      hs2.jpg
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
    Coho likes this.