Wildfowl band hunters article

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by brentbullets, Feb 28, 2014.

1. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

"How 'bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"

2. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

Hey... It's Chet!

3. geese4u

geese4u Elite Refuge Member

Race traitor

4. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

I have a decent number of bands over the years. But i dont go out and target them, it is just luck of the draw. I will admit that im not a good enough goose hunter to land them and then see if they are banded! And most of the time i hunt in so so areas. As has been said if you hunt near banding areas you will get more bands, especially ducks.
    Now here at work is another story .I have banded Honkers walking on my lawn almost daily!

5. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

I hunt here in Nevada. Not a problem i have!

6. jasonb

jasonb Senior Refuge Member

7. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

LMAO!!! :l:l:l

8. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

Chris,

Shot many collared snows over the years, most were targeted. For each collar we shot we were sent a letter asking many questions including whether we saw the collar before we shot. I'm assuming this info was factored in and was wondering if this is being done with the western cackler collars? If not, why? I would think that if the bios could figure out how many collars are being targeted the shooting of them would be far less significant. My 2 cents being a band maggot. lol

9. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

It was stated in the Dave Smith's diatribe ( one of the biggest self serving piles of steaming dung I've read in some time), and then some others on here that if you try to shoot collars by looking for them or by trying to spot color that you will never see them.

Most hunters haven’t developed the ability to see a collar. If they are looking at all, they are looking for color, which might as well make them blind. If they did find one, or you pointed a collared bird out to them, 90% of them would shoot it every time and be thrilled.

Question- if you don't see the color of the collar then how do you see it? Is it like a Jedi, do you "sense" it using a special PNW 6th sense? Does the bird call differently because of the plastic around its neck?

If the collar is picked out by not seeing it, or the color of it, then how is it "seen". Do Dave Smith and his crew have special eyesight, see in infrared, use special glasses???

10. Lujack

Lujack Elite Refuge Member

They shoot the goose that looks like it is flying with a broken neck.