Wildfowl band hunters article

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by brentbullets, Feb 28, 2014.

1. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

Sometimes color is seen but most of the time it's the mark the collar makes on the neck. Both above and below the collar the feather puff out and this is what I looked for more so than color especially when looking for white or yellow collars on a white bird. It's a learned skill picking these out of large flocks.

2. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

The collars he shoots were white on a brown bird. According to his article anyway.

3. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

And we are shooting Red or Green on White birds. Just telling you from experience, the color isn't that important in some cases.

Did you get into many of the orange collars in IL? There were a ton of them.

4. Big Bad Wolf

I've killed two and seen/been in the pit to see three others get killed. The two I killed I saw coming from 100-200 yards out. Oddly they were both singles that basically committed suicide.

I can tell you that there is not that any of them up here anymore. I hunt all over Lake and Mchenry county and can drive by 5-10 major roosts on a sunny afternoon and glass 500-3000 birds per roost. You'd be lucky to see more than one or two.

I am not a tuft of hair expert (well in some instances I might be ;)) but I do have 20/20 eyesight and a good pair of binos. I feel like I can spot a half a paper towel roll of orange, green, blue, or white plastic on an all black neck pretty good.

5. not sponsred

not sponsred Senior Refuge Member

I have killed more than a handful of white on a black neck,
    Yellow on a black neck,
    Black on a black neck, brown on a white neck.
    The absolute toughest by far is yellow.
    The collar is small, normally comes in with 1000 plus of its closest friends and usually swings out at 35 plus yards. With a grey or rainy sky.. I can remember seeing yellow on only a few before I shot them.... Now when I have all of my bases covered, including sun at my back and a quartering wind or side to side, sun is out and birds behave, then they can be seen from a ways out...

6. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

Like snows, they stopped putting collars on our MVP since around 2006 so the ones left are far and few between. This spring I looked at a lot of birds over the spread and at the refuge and only saw one collar which was a Black on a white.

7. Ben

Ben Elite Refuge Member

When I first started going up to guide in N IL, I would see at least 2-3 per 1000 geese on big roosts or unhuntable fields. Seen 4 get killed over a 5 year span and had a few others fly by while hunting. Like BBW said, they're gone now!

8. Big Bad Wolf

3 years ago there was four together at "the estate". Hunted it two days in a row and they never showed up. Went back a week later and they were there again with another 150 on the left pond, considered water swatting them but was afraid of the fallout with Captain Chaos!

9. Heronk77

Heronk77 Senior Refuge Member

I can honestly say that, of all the banded birds I have harvested in 40 years of hunting, I have only shot 2 that I knew were banded before I shot. The first was an orange neck collared goose that was part of a flock gliding into my spread and the second was a single goose that came in from behind me and landed right beside my layout. I have never targeted birds from a known banding site and I have never landed birds to glass them for bands.

10. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

As a kid my folks had a big 7 acre lake that our house overlooked. Each spring we'd get to watch as it loaded with honkers on their way north. At times we'd hold 3-5k. Over 10 years we had 16 different collars show up. One really neat thing about it was that year after year the same collars would return. It was a really cool place to be a kid.

The last orange MVP collar that I have seen was last spring in the Central Zone in Feb. It was on a pond bank right off of I57. It's the only orange collar I've seen since at least 2002.

I missed an orange collar in 2001. Saw that one when he was about 65 yards out...belly on the corn stalks eating it up. It was trailing a pair that was dumping in...

I yelled at my dad "Don't shoot the pair, there's a collar coming!" He obviously misunderstood me because he popped up and folded the pair. The collar was about 45 yards out still... I did not kill it.

In 1996 I killed a white collar one day while skipping school. I was hunting public ground at Rend Lake...a small hole in the ice on a point that I had lugged 4 bigoots and a dozen shells out to for a couple days in a row. I had a big log to lay behind...it was a pretty sweet set up for a kid hunting alone. A pair came off the refuge on the other side of the lake, flew 10 feet over the ice for a long, long way, and then dumped in. I saw the collar at about 50 yards or so as they turned into the wind. I don't think I've ever been so scared to miss in my life. Those were my first two bands.

Back when I was running a camera a lot we filmed a hunt here in West Central Illinois on a half frozen pond in 2005 I think. We had a good bunch come in and do it perfectly...I called the shot as half were on the water and the rest hanging... We had six shooters and killed 8-10 out of it. Only 2 made it out...

Got home and edited it that night...sure as heck, one of the two birds that left was a white collar plain as day. Still makes me sick.

I've seen half the leg bands I've shot while they've been in the air. I look at a lot of legs every year... They aren't hard to see on finishing geese.

Maybe I'll see another collar one of these days....I hear the chances are better out west.