Wildfowl band hunters article

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by brentbullets, Feb 28, 2014.

1. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

3 White collars. The two I was looking and hunting for- I saw. The one I wasn't? - I saw :yes

2. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Pretty much every collar I have shot I saw it in the air or when it landed. There not hard to see. FYI I haven't killed any cackler collars only big honks. I have shot yellow,white,green,blue,and orange collared birds.

3. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

before it died.

[​IMG]

4. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

Your check for K1R1 bounced btw :dv

5. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

I thought I Paypaled you the money? :scratch

6. Chris Nicolai

Chris Nicolai Elite Refuge Member

Hey Tony-
    First, we have talked before, and you are different for other reasons. Actually used your name in a very good way last week!

Yes, targeting snows was a past thing. And other than greaters and Wrangel birds, snow collaring is over cause the data is trashed by people targeting collars and the associated reduced survival of collared birds. Those letters were part of that assessment.

Minima collars (have I said I HATE that AOU picked the name cackling Canada goose for the little geese?) were put on in the last 3 years for a very different reason. That is one reason I have gotten on this thread. We mark birds for many different reasons. But with minimas, targeting them only hurts the conservation need. As I showed with the nerd graphs, it hurts the precision of the estimates.

My main message is why are hunters, who have always been "the original conservationists" not still acting this way?

Still waiting for the appearance of one of the other mentioned people in the originally mentioned article..............:l

7. STUBBLE BUM

STUBBLE BUM Senior Refuge Member

I would imagine that these fellas had an impact on the number of collared snows out there.......lol. I wonder if they reported them and that's how they got caught or maybe a jealous band hunter turned them in. All shot with scoped rifles from what I can gather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 2n1shot

2n1shot Senior Refuge Member

The ones that do that usually report 1 collar from each color to see where they usually come from and don't report any of the rest.