Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Wildlife Artworks Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by SteveL, Apr 13, 2016.

1. SteveL

SteveL Senior Refuge Member

My son and I have had 2 ducks here a Drake widgeon and a Drake wood duck. The wood duck was my daughters first duck, the widgeon was my sons and a beautiful duck He has had these ducks at the taxidermist for 3 years now 10-12 month turn around time is what we were told with a 50% deposit. We have tried numerous times to pick up these birds up he has answered his phone a few times and has always said that he was working on them, that they were drying, that I was next on the table, and finally my son went to his house over the weekend to pick them and he told him that he did not have them on the property becouse he had to move a bunch of birds to his buddies shop to make space for some African game and that he could pick up tonight once his buddy got home from Turkey camp and he got over there to pick them up well my son drove from St. Joe to his house at the set time and he is wasn't home. Every time that we call him he sends it to voice mail. The first time my son used him for a Drake black duck and had no problem duck came back fine looks great no issues he stayed within the 10-12 month turnaround just like he said but now all of a sudden we're getting excuse after excuse as to why he hasn't gotten my birds to us, including he was going through a nasty divorce, had to start on other animals to make space in his freezer, now the African game along with numerous texts stating he was out of town for the week and would be back in town the next week and would call and no phone call so we would call back and would receive the same text that he was out of town etc...I would highly suggest not using Mike Kalcic of Wildlife Artworks Taxidermy from Smithville Missouri very unprofessional in my opinion.

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If all the above is true, it's good that you posted the thread. The more these type of shops are noted, the better. I do not believe it is the norm in the taxidermy industry, but I hear far too many of the same type stories/excuses from customers involved in similar matters with other taxidermists. I don't blame you for being ticked off and urge you to not give up even if it means getting law enforcement involved. Long delays are one thing, theft is another and neither are justified by possessing a few blue ribbons......

SteveL, cripple and slucrew1 like this.
  3. cripple

cripple Senior Refuge Member

Dnr told me this morning that they are very interested in the fact that he has taken so long and the fact that our birds are at another shop and told me that if I do not receive them by Sunday to give them a call and they will get them. Apperently we are not the only people that he has been giving the run around too lately he has a few different people coming after him

4. FED

FED New Member

I thought he was taking too long with my deer, but he's only had it for 16 months. Same story, divorce, drying out, etc. He's had my deer and my deposit for 16 months but can't return my phone call?!?! Oh wait, I almost forgot. He did call me back in January to double check the pose I wanted. He said it would be ready in 2-weeks. 4 months have now passed!! I'm in the Chicago area but took the deer from a friend's property in MO. In the last voice-mail I left him, I said I would be at his house April 23 to get my deer, unless I heard from him otherwise. (I will be back in the area on business). If I don't get it. I may take legal action. Good luck getting your ducks back. I know your pain.

cripple likes this.
  5. cripple

cripple Senior Refuge Member

It appears that his shop number is bad have you been calling his cell?

6. FED

FED New Member

I left voice-mails on both numbers I have for him. One is the "shop" number as show on his website. The other is the number he called me from in January, which I assume is a cell. A week ago, I left voice-mails on both numbers

7. FED

FED New Member

BTW - who do I talk to at the DNR? Do you have a name or phone number?

8. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker Senior Refuge Member

Mo dnr website should have a directory, by county of the agents.

9. DUXRUS2002

DUXRUS2002 Elite Refuge Member

Why are all these type posts being severely edited or deleted ? People need to know who is screwing their customers.

10. FED

FED New Member

In the 1st post, the guy's name is Mike Kalcic of Wildlife Artworks in Smithville, MO. I took my deer to him as the processer recommended. He may have been ok in December 2014, but not anymore.