Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Wildlife Artworks Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by SteveL, Apr 13, 2016.

1. FED

FED New Member

Well wonders never cease. I texted Mike and told him others were going to the DNR and I was considering same. He called me, expects it will be ready in about 2-weeks. He says he used to have 2 people working for him that recently quit. Stay tuned.

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

And now you are being promised 2 weeks again........I cannot defend any taxidermist that gives all the excuses in the book for not getting work back when estimated.......but customers who keep accepting the same "2 week" routine for months and even years are at some point going to have to take some of the blame. Letting shops keep getting away with this doesn't solve anything and only serves to promote the activity. The animal/skin is the customer's property, not the taxidermist's. If I have a pair of cowboy boots getting re-soled and I get the same responses mentioned here from the leather shop, I go get them after the first "run around" and take them somewhere else.

DUXRUS2002 likes this.
  3. DUXRUS2002

DUXRUS2002 Elite Refuge Member

That means he probably is thawing your birds out and working on them tomorrow. I would be on his doorstep tomorrow demanding my birds and money back. Like I said on an earlier post ( before it got deleted ) there is no way a liar would be getting anymore of my money or time. Him even getting a chance to finish this work is a win for him.

10-12 months
    Divorce
    Still drying
    At friends house
    Workers quit
    Blah blah blah

Never have understood why people let this stuff slide. Kind like when the work is horrible and people still pay....

4. cripple

cripple Senior Refuge Member

I had to leave town for work but have a time set for when I return to pick up the birds and if the work is not up to participate in will not be paying him and will be demanding for my deposit returned

5. revlwb

revlwb New Member

What every happened with this? He has had a pig head and skull of mine since March of 2015. I would like to at least have the skull back. Did you have to go through DNR?

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

So how do you go about getting him to return the deposit or the bird/animal?

I have a friend who went through a similar ordeal with a well-known taxidermist in CA. Divorce, freezer problems, etc... The birds were gone and so was the money... He did not get his birds or his deposit... I believe he did go to the authorities to no avail.

It did not happen to me, so I do not feel comfortable mentioning the taxidermist, but were it me, I would be on every social media site I could think of, as well as consumer affairs, local business licensing, etc...

I have no idea what I would do if I sent a bird out of state and had similar issues?

7. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

In-State....out-of-State doesn't matter, theft is theft. I don't quite understand the going to authorities "with no avail". If I have proof (receipt, emails, etc....) that I dropped off a duck, deer, lawnmower, boots, car... and paid a deposit, law enforcement will get involved if my item is "gone"..... and deposit is not returned, otherwise, it would be a pretty good gig to take money and not do any work with no legal consequences.

Ducks and deposits just don't disappear. If a freezer goes out and birds are ruined, customers get notified, insurance claims are filed, deposits are returned. If a duck disappears otherwise, it was either used in another mount (illegal), sold/given away (illegal), you get the idea. If one of my customers decides not to get his duck mounted later in the year, I will return his duck and deposit, less a $20 fee for my time to check it in, package it and store it my freezer. Pretty simple.

My main reason for the initial response was regarding the constant "I'll get to it next week" reply from the taxidermist and customers bending over and accepting it.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I completely agree with you...

On the case I mentioned, I know similar issues happened with multiple people, but I was only acquainted with one of them... I have no idea how or why his money or bird was not returned, or how far he pushed the issue. I do know that he did try to some degree....

9. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Darius?