Will this be the year the Bottoms remain dry?

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

With roughly 23 inches in the refuge pool and 8 inches remain in the only hunting pool, July and August heat should suck most of that up. The remaining water will be soaked up by the hungry cattails and a season with no out of staters will be had.

At this rate, I am predicting a season of mowing and disking. Thankfully there are pheasants in every clump of cattails.

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Will This Be The Year The Bottoms Remains Dry?
    Could be.
    Just as in every year, weather will be the deciding factor in the conditions at CB. If sufficient rain falls in certain locations between now and the end of August, there will be water to hunt over. If it doesn't, there won't.

3. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

I would think you need at least 42 inches in pool 1A, 1B, 1C to flood part of the hunting pools. Gonna take a monsoon to do that.

4. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Tuleman - are you guys making hay while the sun shines, so to speak, on cattail work while it’s dry? It’d be a bummer to not hunt the Bottoms, but honestly I’d take a year without hunting it just to get those damn cattails under control.

ED Vanderbeck and stevena198301 like this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

:clap

When we were there last year (in KS), we loaded up and took a trip to CB, as my FIL and another guy had not been to CB in several years. They were amazed at the amount of cattail that was everywhere. I've been there at least once a year, for the last few. When we got back to camp, my FIL pulled up some old videos from some of the pools they had hunted several years before (probably a decade old). The difference was incredible.

6. Tuleman

Pool 5 is being hit hard, and the cattails are taking a beating in that pool. The other pools still are too wet to get equipment into them. Remember; just because you can't see water, doesn't mean they're dry enough to support tractors. All the pools have some water in them.

Even if pools 2,3, and 4 were dry, there isn't enough equipment and manpower to hit all of them at the same time, not effectively anyway. They have to pick one pool at a time and concentrate on that. This year it's Pool 5.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  7. Tuleman

I visited CB in 1996 and it looked then just like it looks now: 98% covered in cattails.
    Cattails are nothing new in CB. It IS a cattail marsh, after all. Remember 2007 was the big flood year; no cattails then....and no cattails the year after, lots of kochia though. Everything in the marsh is cyclic, especially the vegetation. That's because weather is cyclic. Most years the staff is fighting mother nature, and that's a tough, never-ending war. They win some battles, but the war never ends.

stevena198301 likes this.
  8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I remember hearing of that. Before my time there. Think I came the first time in either 8 or 9. My post wasn't to bash. Just a story of the dramatic differences.

Tuleman likes this.
  9. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

I gotta ask, why pool 5? There is already 3 refuge pools that are essentially reservoirs. The work was partially done to 3B, the worst of all the pools 2 is where the need is the most. Im assuming its due to what you mentioned and not being able to get equipment in the actual hunting pools? When was the last year that the bottoms did not have huntable water? I cant remember when there was not at least one/two huntable pools.

10. Billboard Man

Billboard Man Senior Refuge Member

Fall of 2012 Cheyenne Bottoms was dry. There was a storm that provided some sheetwater hunting in 4b for a few days. I think it was August 2013 that Great Bend area got 8 inches of rain, that is what fell at my house northwest of town when we lived there, and the Bottoms was ready for hunting. It was the first year of 6 teal limit for teal season, and there were strong numbers of bluewings present through mid-November. In the 2014 season, most of the places I had hunted in 2013 were not huntable due to cattail. It was also the first year it seemed very crowded to me.